El Grande Center Coupler Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wudwrkr

I have just made my first El Grande pens. These are actually the modified El Grande's with the Tropical blanks that AS sells. I love those blanks, but I am having an issue with the Center Coupler. The coupler is loose and can be pressed in by hand and also pulled out. I tried a little CA, but that did not hold the center coupler in. I believe that the piece is made from Delrin or something similar.

Anyone have any ideas or have come across this same issue?

Thanks a bunch!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've made several of those in the past week and have had no problems. I use a dab of CA in the tube for grins but haven't experienced any looseness. BTW, for those who haven't tried them, these kits are on an amazing sale through tonight.

wudwrkr

Lou,
Thanks. I tried the CA and that didn't work. I may try some teflon tape and see if that will get it to hold. I picked up these at the sale price. It is a great deal! Especially for the uniqueness of the blanks. My favorite is the Abalone.

pmpartain

Be careful when using the CA. I ruined 35 pens doing that. The CA fumes will corrode the nib of the pen if you don't let it dry for a couple days. A lot of people say to use epoxy instead. The coupler on the pens that I did use CA on held in place, but the nibs all got ruined in the process. I had to buy 35 kits just to get replacement nibs.

wudwrkr

I learned the lesson on the CA a couple of months ago with a Baron Rollerball. I won't do that again! I just tried the teflon tape on one of the pens. So far so good.

Tea Clipper

Dave,
Try running a bead of CA around the inside of the tube only, and let that dry. The idea is to build up some thickness so that the coupler will have to be pressed in.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Dave, when you tried the CA, did you use thick or at least medium. Just for grins, I made two more tonight and the cb needed pressing in. (I still used a drop of medium CA inside the tube.)

wudwrkr

Lou, I used medium CA and it broke free. I just finished the last of these that I had and the coupler was a bit tighter, but I still was able to press it in by hand.

Russ, I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience the loose fittings.

I see that Bill has the Tropical Barons on sale this week. I am going to have to get me some of those!![:p]

Doghouse

Have you tried putting some burrs on the inside of the tube to "catch" on to the edges. I used a knife to make a couple of scratches around the inside. It was a different kit but provided a very tight fit afterwards.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Dave - I feel your pain. I guess that lucky horseshoe is still firmly planted where the sun doesn't shine. In addition to Doghouse's suggestion, you might consider roughing up the part of the coupler that is going inside the tube. That should add a little adhesion...maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom