El Curly Koa Toro's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

These are a few pens I turned today, trying to keep busy and my mind of my hip and heart problems...pen turning can make me very calm.

These are some curly koa blanks I bought on Ebay years ago I forgot al about till recently.
IMG_8869.jpg

Turned with a skew, no sanding. Four coats of spray lacquer, wet sanded with MM 6000-8000-12000 and plastic polish, wax.

An interesting pen, we'll see if I go for more.
IMG_8867.jpg

Critiques please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by GaryMGg
<br />Nice skew work; gorgeous finish. Love Koa.

OT: Please, where'd the leather case come from and how much?
Gary

Thanks Gary,

I appreciate your comments. The case came from Arizona Silhouette...not sure what Bill sells them for now.

PenWorks

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br /> I hope to have a "koa konnection" soon as the Navy deployed my daughter to Hawaii.

daughter.....Hawaii..........???? Cav, we need to talk [:)]

Great work Jim, beautifull wood.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br /> I hope to have a "koa konnection" soon as the Navy deployed my daughter to Hawaii.

daughter.....Hawaii..........???? Cav, we need to talk [:)]

Great work Jim, beautifull wood.

Anthony,

We can always talk. I am letting her get her feet on the ground so to speak, and then will start my <s>begging</s>requests.[;)]

Dario

Jim, Awesome pens! Love the figure on those koa. My skew skills cannot compete with sandpaper yet and probably never. How do you like the kit? I've been meaning to try it but never did.

For critique...what are the white dots on the cap section of the 2nd pic and the lowest one on the 1st pic?

William, Teach her what to look for. Koa is abundant there but the really curly ones are rare and from what I heard may be more expensive than what you can get them for here (mainland US) or eBay. If she can find a source though (like a small time mill) it will be great. Tell her that "scrap" sized pieces work and those will be much affordable. I suggest you start collecting pictures of nice koa slabs...for reference. [;)]

gerryr

Great looking pens Jim. No sanding? Wow, I think you can replace Alan Lacer as the king of the skew. Other than what Dario said, I don't see anything to critique.

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Great looking pens Jim. No sanding? Wow, I think you can replace Alan Lacer as the king of the skew. Other than what Dario said, I don't see anything to critique.

Thanks Dario and Gerry,

I saw that, it's got to be the wax, man that is frustrating...I went out just now and looked again, I am going to see if I can seal it with dark furniture wax..

Any ideas....?

Thanks again, I wish I could harvest some of this wood live myself...

Wish my dad was alive to see these pens, he floated around with the USN in the Pacific from 43-54, he would have enjoyed the wood

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Great looking pens Jim. No sanding? Wow, I think you can replace Alan Lacer as the king of the skew. Other than what Dario said, I don't see anything to critique.

Thanks Dario and Gerry,

I saw that, it's got to be the wax, man that is frustrating...I went out just now and looked again, I am going to see if I can seal it with dark furniture wax..

Any ideas....?

Thanks again, I wish I could harvest some of this wood live myself...

The kit assembles easily, no surprises, same as the Havana as I see it. The mini look takes awhile to adjust too...no room for a long cartridge or pump....I might try making a solid end one.

Wish my dad was alive to see these pens, he floated around with the USN in the Pacific from 43-54, he would have enjoyed the wood

RogerGarrett

The Koa is glorious, but the matching up of these particular pieces of wood to the pen kits themselves was artistic! [:D] I'm impressed with the skew work......tough to do without running into vibration of any kind. A great looking group of pens.

Best wishes,
Roger Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom