Edible Pen Constest!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ThomJ

I was going to take a picture of one made from stuffed grape leaves, but the urge to eat them overpowered the camera

MartinPens

I had to make two because my kids were fighting over who gets to eat which part of the first one. Then I told them to make their own, . . . And they did!! They're not members of IAP yet, but I think they did a great job. I may post them, but not for entry, of course. This was too fun!!

Martin

Rangertrek

Salsa Pen

OK, just had to jump in on this one. Introducing the Salsa Pen. Created with Tomatillo pepper barrels, Cilantro center band and finial, Blue corn tortia chip point, and the nib is made from a Chile pepper. Enjoy with your favorite chips. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Salsa1.JPG
    Salsa1.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

gandsande

Edible pen - Cigar. 2 angles of same pen

Body is a RJs Strawberry licorice - White ChocLog, the ring, clip and End are all Lifesavers Sour Gummies, custom cut to fit. The Tip is carved white chocolate center of the licorice. The ink running out is icing sugar with red food coloring.

Tricky part was cutting the Licorice off the white chocolate center for the center ring.

The kids couldn't wait to eat SORRY no retakes on the photos. :mad-tongue:

workinforwood

I had to make two because my kids were fighting over who gets to eat which part of the first one. Then I told them to make their own, . . . And they did!! They're not members of IAP yet, but I think they did a great job. I may post them, but not for entry, of course. This was too fun!!

Martin

I know I'm curious what there pens look like. You already posted two pens, otherwise you could have used one of theirs and that would be just fine. Whoever wins..can only win one prize of course.

workinforwood

Edible pen - Cigar. 2 angles of same pen

Body is a RJs Strawberry licorice - White ChocLog, the ring, clip and End are all Lifesavers Sour Gummies, custom cut to fit. The Tip is carved white chocolate center of the licorice. The ink running out is icing sugar with red food coloring.

Tricky part was cutting the Licorice off the white chocolate center for the center ring.

The kids couldn't wait to eat SORRY no retakes on the photos. :mad-tongue:

no need to retake the photo's..it's not exactly a photo contest, and we really like your presentation here...you went to the fun side..well done!

3Peake

Here's my attempt.My 6year old son keeps trying to get on my lathe,but he's no chance,so when I said I was making an edible pen he dived at the chance to help:cool:
ads030.jpg

It's a one piece segmented with strawberry liquorice slices and polo mints,with a mini marshmallow clicker. The point of a wooden skewer makes up the nib:biggrin:.

RyanNJ

Here's my attempt.My 6year old son keeps trying to get on my lathe,but he's no chance,so when I said I was making an edible pen he dived at the chance to help:cool:
ads030.jpg

It's a one piece segmented with strawberry liquorice slices and polo mints,with a mini marshmallow clicker. The point of a wooden skewer makes up the nib:biggrin:.
I know that rules are rules and the rules say that the whole pen must be edible. I am sure that some will disagree with me but Even with the use of the skewer i feel that this pen should count. The reason being spaghetti is flimsy and breaks easily and because his 6 year old son helped. Lets consider the skewer the eating utensil

MartinPens

RyanNJ said:
I know that rules are rules and the rules say that the whole pen must be edible. I am sure that some will disagree with me but Even with the use of the skewer i feel that this pen should count. The reason being spaghetti is flimsy and breaks easily and because his 6 year old son helped. Lets consider the skewer the eating utensil

It's all in good fun. Just don't throw it on the grill.
Martin

jaywood1207

Here is my entry. This is my first ever successful pour of anything with 2 separate colours. :biggrin:. This is a milk chocolate hershey bar which is the brown and the blue and yellow are chocolate wafers. The yellow was used for the "hardware" and the blue was used to add contrast and interest to the brown. I wanted to turn it on my lathe but couldn't because of the heat with the live and dead centres. It wouldn't spin. It took longer to make than a regular pen so it's safe and sound in the freezer for now until I'm ready for a sweet snack. This was lots of fun Jeff and I've been working on my plan on how to execute it for a week now. Thanks for doing this.

Attachments

• DSCF6909 (Small).JPG
    DSCF6909 (Small).JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF6908 (Small).JPG
    DSCF6908 (Small).JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF6910 (Small).JPG
    DSCF6910 (Small).JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF6911 (Small).JPG
    DSCF6911 (Small).JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 28

Chuck Key

Ice Cold 50 Caliber BMG

1. Build a model. Turn the nib on the lathe and install a faux refill. Also make a model for the cap.

2. Apply 10 coats of mold builder letting each dry between coats. Wrap about 4 layers of gauze soaked with mold builder the wrap with tape or some other material to provide strength.

3. Fill molds and freeze.

ICE50.JPG

Here is a YouTube vid. I have been trying to shorten it for a couple of days with not much luck so after watching a couple minutes of it you will have it.

[yt]N5-lCDhveN8[/yt]

workinforwood

I know that rules are rules and the rules say that the whole pen must be edible. I am sure that some will disagree with me but Even with the use of the skewer i feel that this pen should count. The reason being spaghetti is flimsy and breaks easily and because his 6 year old son helped. Lets consider the skewer the eating utensil[/quote]

I wouldn't worry to much about it, when it comes to judging time, we'll discuss all pens regardless, and decide what to do at that moment. This contest is more for fun than anything else, and the judges are not super strict in any way. Judging the contest is going to be hell though..so many great entries, I have no idea what the outcome will be.

azamiryou

Carrot quill

My entry to the edible pen contest. This pen was inspired by the pens I used to cut from real quills back in college. It is made from a carrot and a decorative leaf of lettuce, and ... it writes! The "ink" is soy sauce, and therefore completely edible.

As you can see, I made it, wrote with it, photographed it, then ate it. I can't remember the last time I played with my food!

Attachments

• carrot-overview.jpg
    carrot-overview.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 42
  • carrot-plumage.jpg
    carrot-plumage.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 24
  • carrot-nib.jpg
    carrot-nib.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 30
  • carrot-et.jpg
    carrot-et.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 19

bensoelberg

Pure White Chocolate

Here is my entry. For this pen, I created a tube out of wax paper that was about 7 inches long, 3/4" diameter. I filled the tube with melted white chocolate and stuck it in the freezer over night. While that was freezing, I took one of the small round pieces of white chocolate and carved a fountain pen nib. I "painted" the gold detail of the nib with yellow food coloring and a toothpick, and set it aside. Once the chocolate blank was set up, I wrapped one end in a high density foam pad, put it in my scroll chuck and turned it (pic 1). For the record, frozen chocolate turns beautifully. About an inch and a half broke off of the tailstock end, so I decided to use that for the cap. I mounted it in the chuck and drilled a hole (pic 2). I also drilled a small hole for the nib. I made another small mold out of wax paper and "cast" a clip. Once I was done turning, I cut a small recess for the clip and sealed it with more melted chocolate. I also used melted chocolate to "glue" the nib into the section. Once that set, I painted the body of the pen with blue food coloring and the cap with purple. I definitely enjoyed the process, but I think I'll stick with wood for now.

Attachments

• finish turned.JPG
    finish turned.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 32
  • nib drilling.JPG
    nib drilling.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Cap off.JPG
    Cap off.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 51
  • cap on.JPG
    cap on.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 45

bbuis

Rules being rules that is kind of bogus. Mine was disqualified for toothpicks .. I can take the aluminum hat off of it and set it aside .. but the toothpicks are also a eating utensil. I'm just saying.

workinforwood

Rules being rules that is kind of bogus. Mine was disqualified for toothpicks .. I can take the aluminum hat off of it and set it aside .. but the toothpicks are also a eating utensil. I'm just saying.

Yes, well we discussed this little dilema and of course, if we let in one pen with an inedible component, then we have to let them all in of course. But, it's not fair to all the people that are sticking directly to the rule base. Any pen that is not 100% edible can not be judged, because the rules are the rules. There's still time to make a new snowman pen..love the snowman, you can fix the little issues I'm sure and I really hope that you do. The weekend is still young for those that did not comply, they are certainly allowed to try again!

workinforwood

We defined edible in the beginning of the contest as best we can without writing an encyclopedia about it. In the end we make the final determination as to what is edible using common sense of everyday food habits...and even some of those can be nasty to eat..like raw spaghetti noodles..that's pushing it, but not over the line. It is not normal to eat wood, and we are not accepting wood as a food source. I realize not everyone can ever be completely satisfied, but that's just too bad, because it's our contest, it costs nothing to enter and we are giving out the prizes out of our pockets. As stated in the beginning, even if you lose you are a winner, and that can go for anyone DQ'd by using wood. We can't include a skewer in this contest, but the person made the pen with his 6 yr old child and the time spent together makes them both winners in their own right.

BTW...contest was supposed to end tonight. It says in the rules, saturday the 20, well today is saturday, and I'm sorry but it is not the 20th..it is the 19th. I was looking at the wrong calendar. Still plenty of time though..fire up the ovens!

Last edited:

azamiryou

I should clarify, I didn't mean to actually challenge our definitions here, I was just trying to be clever while posting some interesting links. If we went by Monsieur Mangetout's standards, any of the pens we make would be "edible". Besides, pretty much every article I've seen about him uses the word "inedible" to describe what he eats.

markgum

I should clarify, I didn't mean to actually challenge our definitions here, I was just trying to be clever while posting some interesting links. If we went by Monsieur Mangetout's standards, any of the pens we make would be "edible". Besides, pretty much every article I've seen about him uses the word "inedible" to describe what he eats.

Yeah, because some of the stuff the guy eat's on Man vs. Wild makes that cat poo pen from a few years ago sound edible... :biggrin: :tongue: :eek:

3Peake

Sorry if my attempt has created a big controversy, It was only a quarter inch piece at the tip. That was as my son said the point like his pencils and he wanted to help me make a pen and see it on here like some of my pens,which he has now done thanks to this competition,so we are now both happy.:biggrin::biggrin:
Please consider my entry cancelled as breach of rules.cheers

Rangertrek

OK, just had to jump in on this one. Introducing the Salsa Pen. Created with Tomatillo pepper barrels, Cilantro center band and finial, Blue corn tortia chip point, and the nib is made from a Chile pepper. Enjoy with your favorite chips. :biggrin:

Clarification on this one. :redface: The "clip" is a Chile pepper, not the nib.
The nib is a blue corn chip.

workinforwood

We have winners !!!

1st place, Chuck Key
2nd place, Rangertrek
3rd place, Martin Pens
4th place, bensoelberg

Congratulations...it was a tough race and some really close scores! You people have great imagination. Please PM me your addresses for your prizes.

Grizz

Banned
You know, I had a dream when I was in 7th grade to invent flavored pen caps. We chewed on them all the time and thought what a great idea.

Still, no flavored pen caps. BIC has disappointed me.

workinforwood

Thanks for the heads up on the prize arrivals. All prize packs were identical, The only difference between 1 and 4 is bragging rights. The pen with a brownie and a fried potato still gives me nightmares! :biggrin:

Top Bottom