Ebony Mesa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

I shop at Austin Hardwood and Hardware in Santa Ana, CA and they have a large bin of ebony and I look at each time I visit and never buy. I finally gave in and for $7 each I bought some 1x1x12 pieces carefully covered in black wax. I turns out there are some small veins of light ivory to tan color, but the result is a nice pen. As always, black and shiny means more polishing to remove all tiny scratches. The wood was easier to cut, drill and turn than I had expected from my research into the wood. If you make one wear gloves when you sand or enjoy the blue/black stain on your hands (I did).

PenMesaGoldinGabonEbony1lighter_zpsf0eadb1f.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

I love this wood. You described it perfectly. I hope yours is well seasoned. If the sun hits it, it might crack. You did a beautiful job. Ebony is meant to have a shiny finish. Like glass.

plantman

Very nice job on the pen !! Fantastic photo !!! Be careful of the dust and wear a dust mask when working with Ebony. Ebony in the Deospyras genus is classified as a sensitizer. Common reactions include eye, skin, and respiratory irritation. Clean up your work space after working the wood, wear laytex gloves or it will stain your hands, but you already know that. Will polish to a shine without finish. I made Ebony handles for one of my bathrooms 20 years ago with just a buffed finish, and there are no signs of cracking yet. I have a large 2"x4"x4' piece of Garbon Ebony that is jet black with no brown or white in it. Price was $100 ten or so years ago. I must have looked at that board for 6 months before I could bring myself to spend that kind of money for one small board. I have never regreted it !! Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom