ebony crack question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

For those of you who have had ebony crack after a period of time, what type of finish are you putting on it? Just wondering if there is a correlation or if it just pretty much cracks no matter what you do to it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Some cracks with lacquer and some does not. Some cracks with CA and some does not.

Some cracks just being stored and some does not --

I tend to use epoxy for the adhesive and make sure the fittings are finger push into the brass tubes (Loctite is my friend) -- and cracks still happen.

Buy a billet at Gilmer Woods and conduct your own tests --

I just got a flat rate box shipped so I can do some more testing -- I like the stuff to turn but expect cracks to happen.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I just turn it and put it in the trash to wait for it to crack. Saves cleanup and
no more returned pens!

fernhills

Huh!! it can also crack twice. I just done a cannuba wax on the Beall buff on the one i did. It really looked good. Just going to dismantle mine and choose another material. Carl

toolcrazy

Ebony is like Snake wood, cracking is caused by heat. Sanding, cutting, drilling and working in general will cause heat. Do everything you can to minimize the heat and you will get a pen that won't crack. I have a click pen that I made 2 years ago, and is hadn't cracked. So it is possible to get crack free pens..

KenV

So what if it cracks -- it repairs easily and looks really good. -- Same with snakewood - some cracks and needs repair, and some does not. Not hard to repair the cracks, and I am willing to do that when it happens after the pen leaves the shop. I suggest not being in a hurry to let them out of the shop.

DurocShark

I've done a few pens with it. The trick I found was to drill for the tube, then store for a week. Glue the tube then store for a week. Turn close to final size then store for a week. Turn to final size then store for a week. Finish then store for 2 weeks.

I even made a batch of Pentels for a friend. Not one cracked. They have no tubes.

glycerine

So what if it cracks -- it repairs easily and looks really good. -- Same with snakewood - some cracks and needs repair, and some does not. Not hard to repair the cracks, and I am willing to do that when it happens after the pen leaves the shop. I suggest not being in a hurry to let them out of the shop.

I don't mind making repairs, but I feel like I would give myself a bad reputation if my pens cracked over time.
But I have one I need to get done for Christmas. The good thing is, it doesn't have to be ebony, it just needs to be black wood, so I can use something else that's been dyed. I Just thought the ebony would look nicer.

Top Bottom