Ebonite Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

I have worked with the ebonite Penn State sells. It is the India-sourced product and it is wretched. The good ebonite comes from Germany and is quite a bit more expensive.

Wow, I got a blank from PSI when I ordered my collet chuck. I got the green/yellow blank. I haven't spun it yet, but I did take a nife to it to see how it cuts, and based on that it's pretty nice.

What's wretched about it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

I have worked with the ebonite Penn State sells. It is the India-sourced product and it is wretched. The good ebonite comes from Germany and is quite a bit more expensive.

I hear that the Italian ebonite is pretty good.:biggrin:
The link below showed some interest, but I don't think it went anywhere. Someone correct me if that was not the case.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24856

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Wow, I got a blank from PSI when I ordered my collet chuck. I got the green/yellow blank. I haven't spun it yet, but I did take a nife to it to see how it cuts, and based on that it's pretty nice.

What's wretched about it?

The level of impurities and sulphur cause it to crumble more than peel off in long ribbons. The material takes a decent polish, but will not hold it. Without a finish, the material rubs off on my hands. In short, I made pens from four of the colors and ended up chucking the whole lot and going back to German ebonite.

As for the Italian ebonite, I corresponded with them for a good long time but they were never able to deliver a sample.

phillywood

Phil,

The entry from Dawn is two years ago, things have changed a little in that time frame.

Ed, sorry my foot still is in my mouth, i didn't even look at the date, huh! I 'll try to turn my foot shorter next time.
I thought you guys were saying that the darn thing(ebonite) is too crumbly and it's hard to urn it without it getting cracked down the road, am I wrong here?

MFortner

Sorry about not looking at the date of the thread I replied to, rookie mistake!

I didn't find the PSI blanks to be that bad, maybe I got lucky. Here's what I was able to come up with:

Apollo Elitte II with Green/Yellow Ebonite (Sold 10/9/10)

Majestic Jr. in Blue/Beige Ebonite.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

-Mike

penfancy

I haven't read the entire thread, but I think you can source used ebonite bowling balls. Cut 'em up and use what you can.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I don't believe ebonite bowling balls are the same as ebonite (hard rubber). But I COULD be wrong for the first time, again.

randbcrafts

Ebonite is a brand name of bowling equipment, not actually what they are made from. Typically most newer bowling balls are made from Urethane plastic, or reactive resin. Some old balls were made of hard rubber (Manhattan Rubber), but not exactly the same as the German Ebonite that Ed or I carry, and certainly not the same quality.

PaulDoug

Kurt, just got to say, after reading this old.new thread I went to your site to check out your pipes. Beautiful! You really do great work. I use to be a pipe smoker and although I quit years ago I still like to look at pipes. Very very nice pipes you make.

Now a question, I notices at the pipe supply place they also sell lucite. Much cheaper, but still pretty stuff. How would that work for pens?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lucite makes great pens--but translucent, paint tubes.

Should be able to find pics---Penworks (Anthony) has made many fantastic lucite pens.

RDH79

color sample of some ebonite blanks????

I need to find a color sample of some ebonite blanks. I know there are probably alot of examples but I have a customer that asked for a Ebonite FP. Very good customer.
Thanks
Rich H.

RDH79

Thanks Jonathon, Yea I seen them but i was looking for a picture of the different or some of the different colors to email him.
Thanks
RichH

Top Bottom