Ebonite fillable rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gwilki

gwilki

The tip is a rollerball, but the ink is in a standard converter. It could be described as either the best or the worst of both the rollerball and the fountain pen world.

C and C most welcome.

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 209
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 277
  • converter.jpg
    converter.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert111

Nice pen, gwilki! Those threads are incredibly coarse so I'm tempted to think they must be a design element. Only problem for me would be the comfort factor.

What's that metal piece that the converter is in? Is this made from a part taken from another pen or kit, or is the roller ball tip a Schmidt cartridge roller ball tip?

gwilki

I'm crushed. :) Nobody likes the course threads but me. If anything, I would have liked to do them a bit courser, but with an Acme thread. I don't find it uncomfortable at all, but that is very individual.
Robert: The metal piece is not from a kit as far as I know. I bought some odds and ends years ago from Elliot Landes and these couplers were among them. It takes the threaded converter and in turn threads into a brass insert in the barrel. I like them because it results in a more secure hold on the converter as compared to simply pushing it in and relying on friction to hold it.

Robert111

I'm crushed. :) Nobody likes the course threads but me. If anything, I would have liked to do them a bit courser, but with an Acme thread. I don't find it uncomfortable at all, but that is very individual.
Robert: The metal piece is not from a kit as far as I know. I bought some odds and ends years ago from Elliot Landes and these couplers were among them. It takes the threaded converter and in turn threads into a brass insert in the barrel. I like them because it results in a more secure hold on the converter as compared to simply pushing it in and relying on friction to hold it.

But I DO like the coarse threads. Just sayin' I might not like them after writing for a half hour.

Now, is that a Schmidt cartridge roller ball nose cone, like this?

Cartridge Rollerball System - Indy~Pen~Dance

chrisk

Great threads! Please could you give us some details about the way you made these threads? Threading on a metal lathe? Specific tap and die?... Thanks in advance.

gwilki

Tks, Robert. On this pen, I don't seem to feel the threads at all when I'm writing with it. But, that must depend somewhat on the size of my hand and where I grip it.
It is the Schmidt unit.

ChrisK. The threads were cut with a 1/2" x 13 tap and die. Nothing special at all. I use WD40 as a lube, then polish them with a toothbrush and Brasso. I cut them on my Jet mini lathe. For the external barrel threads, I held the die in a die holder in the tail stock and the barrel held in a collet chuck in the headstock. For the matching internal threads in the cap, I held the tap in a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock and the cap in the collet chuck.

Texatdurango

This is the first time I have seen anyone use those inserts from Elliot. I've still got lots of them and like to use them where cutting threads in the pen body itself is prohibited due to material strength.

As far as the threads, ehhh........ I can take 'em or leave them!

Good to see you posting your work!

Top Bottom