Ebay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Are you comfortable buying machinery on eBay. How are your experiences. Last time I bought an item it came to my door in a crushed box and I refused it. Small electronic parts in soft cardboard box. Had it returned to sender. Vendor would not acknowledge return or refund. Ebay sided with merchant. Paypal reversed the sale and got my money back. I'm reluctant to buy anything on ebay. Did see an item I want that is substantially cheaper but I have the ebay jitters. Aggravation is not worth any discounts.
For the sake of conversation would you/did you buy a lathe, grinder, large flat screen, anything expensive from ebay?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I never bought a large ticket item from Ebay. But I bought a ton of car parts for my Monte Carlo. Never had a problem.
The best way to tell is check the feedback of the seller.
If they have a lot of negative reviews, look elsewhere.

gtriever

The most expensive thing I've bought from eBay is a used digital camera. Normally if I need machinery or the like I go to the vendor's site and eat the extra cost.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I bought a mercedes sl500 off ebay, several lathes and mills, even large dollar printers for my wifes photo hobby. It doesnt phase me.

WriteON

The best way to tell is check the feedback of the seller.

How about Amazon Prime...fulfilled by Amazon. Merchant has "ONLY" 2 reviews. I realize 2 (positives) review can be bogus. Amazon seems to stand behind it's fulfillment.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with Amazon. If you get the package and it's damaged or the selling add really doesn't represent what you ordered you can ship it back to Amazon, get a full credit and it's all on their dime.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
the only problem I have ever had ordering with Amazon is the delivery company marking it delivered when it wasnt. Right after Hurricane Irma I ordered a 110 ft roll of screen since it was impossible to get locally and the Fed Ex Driver marked it delivered and never did. Since I was always at home we know he didnt deliver it. I have also had a package marked as delivered and show up the next day. This happens when they cant actually get all the deliveries done and they get in trouble for not making the time frame.
The screen roll was resent no issiues ($180.00)
I also have had the wrong thing sent and it was resent right away.

dogcatcher

The biggest problems we have had is when the packing was done by an idiot. Poorly packaged items will usually get destroyed by any shipper. A picture of the package as received usually takes care of that issue.

Curly

I bought a cylinder square and it wasn't well packaged. The box was broken that held the square and the indicator holder that came with it. There was no damage to the tools so I left it at that. The seller was selling her fathers tools so I didn't see a point in leaving a bad review.

I have bought LED shop lights and a VFD through Alibaba and they arrived in perfect condition in about 2 weeks. Just the usual delays with FedEx and UPS not understanding our address and refusing to hold the packages for pickup until they tried to deliver to areas outside the city they don't service.

Online ordering doesn't faze me. The shipping does though.

WriteON

I'm damaged from the past Ebay experience and took an oath never to give them a nickel of my business,

Here's the situation. Same Merchant is selling same item on Amazon and ebay. Amazon's price is fixed...eBay is best offer. Same item can be bought for about $65-70 less on Ebay. If the box gets delivered with no hitch and the item is As Described everything works out fine. Otherwise put eBay in the middle and the thrill is gone.

Talltim

My main problem with all of the services has been my neighbor's dog. I doubt he would run off with heavy equipment but you still might have to watch the tires on that Mercedes.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

PenPal

I bought a long pair of waved scissors to trim Aquarium Plants C/W long Spatula and Long Tweezers.

The free freight etc from China arrived minus the Spatula and Tweezers. The packaging looked original,I was prepared to cop the missing items but to me the original plastic had been violated pre post.

I received a did you like your last transaction, simply stated facts as I saw them to E Bay. They expressed dismay on my behalf, the supplier contacted me within hours by E Mail, made a full refund through my Paypal account,sincere apologies keep the Scissors. E Bay responded again happy to assist.

Not all is doom and gloom.

Peter.

mecompco

If the seller's FB looks decent, I wouldn't have a problem. Pay with PayPal and your pretty much covered. Back when I was doing eBay full time, I was selling, among other things, refurbished MacBooks. My packages were weighed and measured by the UPS store (other things went USPS Priority) and those values recorded. A buyer reported to eBay that he'd received a box of used toners. Now tracking said my box was delivered. eBay required me to accept the return. Yup, a box that I'd never seen before, filled with used toners. I presented my case to PayPal, copies of the UPS store slip clearly showing the weight and dimensions of my box (which was a special laptop shipping box) and my UPS tracking info. They ruled against me, took my money, and said "tough luck" about losing a several hundred dollar laptop.

Thus, using eBay with PayPal as a buyer doesn't bother me much. As a seller, that's much more of a risk.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Most expensive things I have bought from eBay has been a Harbor Freight 2 hp Dust Collector, New but in an outside damaged box and advertised as such. Only paid about $110. and it was in excellent condition.

I buy about every other month from eBay, and have not had any problems with vendors or equipment.

My daughter had problems with selling an iPhone that the buyer kept for three weeks and then claimed it didn't work. eBay deducted twice the price from her account through PayPal in reimbursing the "buyer". Upon contacting PP, they said that should NEVER have happened. She got the phone back (it was in good condition) and her eBay overcharge. She vowed never to use eBay again. She sold the phone soon for more money than she was getting on eBay.

Top Bottom