eBay buyers have given me a bad taste in my mouth....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

It's really simple buyers, do a bit of research before you bid! If a seller gives a complete, accurate description, and a 'compatibility chart'....maybe take a few moments to verify that your lens with fit the converter, maybe?

Winning bid guy is now saying that his lens will not autofocus on converter and the unit is defective{false claim, but other then beating him...he isn't going to admit it}. Wants me to pay his return postage and give a full refund, including the shipping to him!
Seems a 'no returns' auction through eBay is easily circumvented by stating the item is defective(according to the guy that spoke three words of English-Jose)....even if it's a fraudulent claim that can be proved if buyer would send photo of lens including serial number.

I tested function of the item before the auction and again before I put it inside the over-packed parcel. So I know without a doubt it works perfectly. Really worried the dishonesty of this person will make him actually break the unit....and he won't ask in eBay to questions any longer. Yes, I understand there are 'safe guards' for the protection of buyers in place at eBay....but seriously. Fella should 'man-up' and admit his mistake, send the unit back the way it was sent, and accept the winning bid price as a refund.

Been on eBay since 2001, never had an issue like this....PayPal has a hold on everything in my account, can't even make mailing labels for orders(have to go offsite and pay using my 'real account'). Don't worry, if you have ordered something, it'll go out.

Scott (I'll be done with eBay very soon) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

He will if he hasn't already leave negative feedback about all you can do is refund and get your item and test it. Ebay is getting almost as bad and Craigslist. Check his feedback rating it would be interesting to see what it is.
Good luck

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Return postage is his responsibility and you don't need to issue a refund until you get the item back. Probably everyone who sells on eBay has experienced this....lots of buyers there think it is an "approval" service and eBay almost encourages that kind of thinking. I quit selling there for similar reasons.

ladycop322

Scott,

Try calling eBay. I have a friend who call ALL THE TIME with issues and they are very helpful. However, Paypal is a different story...got cheated out of $300 and they didn't want to hear anything from me. Also, I was an Amazon seller, had a lens for sale and also same lens on eBay. It sold, within an hour of time, and when I returned home from work realized two people wanted one lens. Sold to the eBay person (I opened that email first) and explained to the Amazon buyer it was sold, yada yada yada....they reported me and Amazon banned me for life! Really? Needless to say, I sell on Craigslist locally only. I don't trust anyone and these big companies need a big smack!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Scott,

Try calling eBay. I have a friend who call ALL THE TIME with issues and they are very helpful. However, Paypal is a different story...got cheated out of $300 and they didn't want to hear anything from me. Also, I was an Amazon seller, had a lens for sale and also same lens on eBay. It sold, within an hour of time, and when I returned home from work realized two people wanted one lens. Sold to the eBay person (I opened that email first) and explained to the Amazon buyer it was sold, yada yada yada....they reported me and Amazon banned me for life! Really? Needless to say, I sell on Craigslist locally only. I don't trust anyone and these big companies need a big smack!
Paypal very much favors the buyer in disputes - I have a "lost" dispute at PayPal when someone filed a dispute without even asking me about a return. I have an unconditional return policy on almost everything I sell. Paypal asked me for information and I told them that I have an unconditional return policy and to just tell the buyer to send it back and I would refund their money with no questions asked. They marked that as a settled 'dispute' against me.

SDB777

Everything seems to have turned into a 'no winner' for any seller....

Seriously thinking about closing up shop(website, C-List, everything....as eBay will be closed in a few days). It has all become a hassle to provide the lowest cost stuff.

Scott (it'd be nice and quiet though) B

wyone

It is a shame that honesty and integrity have failed so much lately. I used to buy a lot on ebay and stopped as it seemed to be such a hassle now. I tried selling but the fees killed my profit margin. Now I buy from local cl and from sellers who value you their customers. To me, if there is an issue with things the effort to correct it is as important as actually correcting it. I do not expect others to lose money because of a true mistake. Until I can say I never make mistakes I will not expect that from others. Most of the sellers I deal with do go above and beyond and I know they lost all profit by making things right with me. I respect that, and consider it important. It shows they do not care about ONE sale, they care about ME, the customer. They will most certainly make up any loss from my future business.

SDB777

Mitch,

While I agree with some of the things you stated....I can't with a lot of it.
This one loss is a HUGE amount for me as a seller. It pretty much puts me 'even' for the year so far.....and 'even', for the lack of a better word, sucks.

Scott (it's a hobby, but it's going backwards) B

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mitch,

While I agree with some of the things you stated....I can't with a lot of it.
This one loss is a HUGE amount for me as a seller. It pretty much puts me 'even' for the year so far.....and 'even', for the lack of a better word, sucks.

Scott (it's a hobby, but it's going backwards) B
I understand what you're saying Scott. I've had more than one really expensive set backs, and will probably have others...I left eBay because they were making more on everyone of my sales than I was...but I've had some bad ones here as well.

Dan Masshardt

Is this a seperate hobby buying and selling photography equipment?

How much was this lens?

I've had pretty good luck with eBay overall but it's probably just that - luck. I'm sure I'd get screwed over sooner or later.

Top Bottom