Easy way to test your finishing skills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
So....after my 2yr old used a $60 Xbox 360 game as a skate on my tile floor, I decided to attempt to get the scratches out.

Using the same technic I use on my PR/Acrylic pens, I proceeded to buff out the scratches by making a spindle mount out of wood and then putting that on a threaded rod in a jacobs chuck with a nut to hold it tight. Spun it at 650rpm or so on the lathe.

Started with 1000 grit sice the scratches were deep and wet sanded all the way up through 2500 and then on to the Meguires wax.

End result:
Wasn't as scratch free as I thought it would be. The DVD REALLY shows any small scratches you wouldn't normally see in a blank.

Broke out the Micro Mesh and sanded all the way through 12k. Then carnuba wax.

End result:
About the same. I can honestly say the scratches were probably more uniform in size/depth. Carnuba really does well in filling in the small scratches once buffed.

So....test out your finishing technic with an old CD or DVD....I think you will be surprised at your results. Plus, you can refine your technic to produce the post perfect finish you can get. I will never let another pen leave my shop without that final coat of carnuba I sometimes leave off.

P.S. That damn game still didn't work and it had less scratches on it than the day I bought it. Guess it had damaged a data layer and no amount of buffing can repair that.:mad:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Ha neat idea. Yea the data lives on the foil. The most important part of a CD/DVD is the picture on the other side as it covers the foil. Once it gets damaged that bit of data is gone.

azamiryou

So....after my 2yr old used a $60 Xbox 360 game as a skate on my tile floor, I decided to attempt to get the scratches out.

After I read that, this:

Using the same technic I use on my PR/Acrylic pens, I proceeded to buff out the scratches by making a spindle mount out of wood and then putting that on a threaded rod in a jacobs chuck with a nut to hold it tight. Spun it at 650rpm or so on the lathe.
Confused me. :confused: And I stayed confused until I got to:

... The DVD REALLY shows any small scratches ...
For some reason I thought it was the floor that got scratched. :rolleyes:

Ha neat idea. Yea the data lives on the foil. The most important part of a CD/DVD is the picture on the other side as it covers the foil. Once it gets damaged that bit of data is gone.

Yeah, most people don't realize that. All those years of people flipping a cd/dvd upside to save the bottom probably caused more problems than just putting right side up would have.

dexter0606

After I read that, this:

Confused me. :confused: And I stayed confused until I got to:

... The DVD REALLY shows any small scratches ...
For some reason I thought it was the floor that got scratched. :rolleyes:

+1 on that!

glycerine

You know, I had a disc that was scratched as well, so I took some of the hut plastic polish to it. It looked WORSE after I got done!

Top Bottom