Easy Tool Square or round

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TJR123

When I took my penturning class at Woodcrafters they introduced us to the Easy Tool. The blade is held by a set screw and instead of sharpening you just rotate the blade. I have had good luck using this tool for turning wood blanks but am wondering if the Easy Tool with the round blade would be better for acrylics. I wanted to get some comments before spending $118 for the round blade tool.

All comments appreciated.:rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have no difficulty in turning acrylic with any tool. But, then I have turned a lot of it.

Now, BONE, on the other hand, gets me to reach for my Rotundo tool (a carbide tool with a round cutting piece). Essentially, it is a sharp scraper, which is very forgiving (seldom get a catch--in fact I have NEVER gotten a catch with a carbide).

Acrylics are most difficult when taking the blank from square to round. Personally, I find a roughing gouge is the most useful tool for this. Once it is round, nearly any tool can work---the carbides among them!!

Hope this helps,

Ed

HeartofaPen

I have both the Ci0 & Ci3 mini EWT. I use it on most any material I am turning. The only material I have found it does not like are the circuit board blanks for the Sierra and Cigar pens. For some reason, the resin used is differant and i blow more of them out when using the EWT. As for acrylic, I use the tool once I finish rounding it with a roughing gouge. The acrylic/pr/alumite blanks will dull the blade a little quicker then wood does but I have found it to be a great tool to have.

Check the library, I believe there is a tutiorial on how to make your own.

jasontg99

Don't spend $118. Send Nikitas a PM. He has an outstanding tool that is made to fit several inserts and it is significantly less than $118.

Jason

KenV

There are 3-4 vendors here on IAP who sell tools that are similar (and perhaps better) than the tools sold by Wood Craft. They sell for substantially less because they do not go through the "brick and mortar" distribution chain.

I have the Pen Pro from Ken

I bought the pen pro

but Wood of 1 Kind and Nikitas are two other vendors that come to mind.

I also like the Hunter cup style carbide cutters for material that might be brittle -- Like snake skin blanks

Dave Turner

I have the EasyWood Ci1 EasyRougher, the Woodchuck Pen Pro, and a Woodchuck 8" Round 1. I like the EasyRougher the best because of the long handle, with the Woodchuck Pen Pro a close second. (Yes, even on a small pen, the longer handle gives me better control). I don't like the flat carbide insert. The R2 is OK, but I find the R4 the most enjoyable to work with. It has enough curve to be very forgiving, but is still flat enough to easily shape straight lines and gentle curves, something I use all the time for pens. The Round carbide tip is too aggressive on pens in my hands and I find it difficult to leave a smooth surface. It's great for hollowing. These comments apply to both wood and acrylics.

Last edited:

sbell111

Don't spend $118. Send Nikitas a PM. He has an outstanding tool that is made to fit several inserts and it is significantly less than $118.

Jason
Alternatively, you can easily make your own for less than twenty bucks. A quick search should turn up several threads that walk through the process.

ALexG

I use the Pen-Pro

I don't know about the other ones but I can say that the Pen-pro is excellent, and I agree that It should come with a larger handle

Texatdurango

When I took my penturning class at Woodcrafters they introduced us to the Easy Tool. The blade is held by a set screw and instead of sharpening you just rotate the blade. I have had good luck using this tool for turning wood blanks but am wondering if the Easy Tool with the round blade would be better for acrylics. I wanted to get some comments before spending $118 for the round blade tool.

All comments appreciated.:rolleyes:
I use round, square and square bits with a slight radius and prefer the square bits for acrylics, ebonite and alumilite blanks, actually everything even wood. I use my round bits on hollow forms, bowls and larger curved items but the square bits can't be beat for making nice straight, smooth cuts on pen bodies.

I would suggest using a square bit and as Steve suggested, if you have the wherewithal to make your own tool, do it for under $20, else look at one of the folks selling their tools on the forum for far less than the "store bought" cousins.

razor524

I agree that the square bit is the one to use. I have both and rarely use the round one when turning pens. I did us it a lot when making coves in some magic wands though!

bitshird

I don't know about the other ones but I can say that the Pen-pro is excellent, and I agree that It should come with a larger handle

I have the EasyWood Ci1 EasyRougher, the Woodchuck Pen Pro, and a Woodchuck 8" Round 1. I like the EasyRougher the best because of the long handle, with the Woodchuck Pen Pro a close second. (Yes, even on a small pen, the longer handle gives me better control). I don't like the flat carbide insert. The R2 is OK, but I find the R4 the most enjoyable to work with. It has enough curve to be very forgiving, but is still flat enough to easily shape straight lines and gentle curves, something I use all the time for pens. The Round carbide tip is too aggressive on pens in my hands and I find it difficult to leave a smooth surface. It's great for hollowing. These comments apply to both wood and acrylics.

You can get a larger handle with the pen pro. Just ask. Mine is 10"

I'll make them any length you'd like, but the shipping costs go up, due to say a 12 inch or a 17 inch won't fit in an affordable flat rate box, they require tubes to ship, A lot of the customers one of our Australian dealers sell to buy his 12 inch PR handles,

Top Bottom