Eastern Red Cedar Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Got up to the point of applying the very first coats of WOP here. This one is turning out spectacular. But that's my opinion. What's yours?

Attachments

• IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 250
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmyshrall

Nice vase, Bob. I love how the ERC develops such a drastic color change once the finish starts to go on.

Overall, I like the shape and design but, personally, I feel that the neck might have been a tad too tall for the width. But only by maybe an inch. I like the beading you put on the body and the transition between the neck and body is well defined. I get the feeling that the transition was a bit sharper before sanding. Was it? ERC can be such a pain to sand and keep sharp details. I also like how the shape of the bottom was done; nice, crisp edge.

I really like this one and do believe that I will not show the photos to SWMBO; otherwise, I will get yet another item added to my to-do list. Being from East Tennessee, she really likes most things made from ERC.

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:

Bobostro61

Nice vase, Bob. I love how the ERC develops such a drastic color change once the finish starts to go on.

Overall, I like the shape and design but, personally, I feel that the neck might have been a tad too tall for the width. But only by maybe an inch. I like the beading you put on the body and the transition between the neck and body is well defined. I get the feeling that the transition was a bit sharper before sanding. Was it? ERC can be such a pain to sand and keep sharp details. I also like how the shape of the bottom was done; nice, crisp edge.

I really like this one and do believe that I will not show the photos to SWMBO; otherwise, I will get yet another item added to my to-do list. Being from East Tennessee, she really likes most things made from ERC.

Thanks,
Michael

I think the transition is still sharp. Must have been a photo thing, maybe a little bit of a shaky hand.

Attachments

• IMG_1992.jpg
    IMG_1992.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

SDB777

What are the dimensions?

Love ERC, I have so much of it around here I don't think I put it on the lathe often enough. But I guess I should re-think that after seeing this one.

Scott (made a beauty) B

Bobostro61

What are the dimensions?

Love ERC, I have so much of it around here I don't think I put it on the lathe often enough. But I guess I should re-think that after seeing this one.

Scott (made a beauty) B

9-1/2" tall and 4-1/4" round at the top and the widest point of the base. I started out with a 5 x 10 blank.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My opinion is worth nothing!!! So, FWIT - That is beautiful.

I love the wood/grains and the form of the piece is very nice!

I need to get some of that wood! (Need to order from Scott!!!)

Mark (An undercover Scott wood fan).

Top Bottom