Easter Egg from Koa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

Every year for the past few years I have turned an Easter egg from wood. Here is this years egg made from a piece of Koa from Kauai.

Happy Easter!

Martin

Attachments

• 2011Easter-9253.jpg
    2011Easter-9253.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 193
  • 2011Easter-9254.jpg
    2011Easter-9254.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 2011Easter-9259.jpg
    2011Easter-9259.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 176
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Great job, Martin!

Do you hide Koa Easter eggs in those grass hula skirts? Might make Easter egg hunting a whole lot more fun for us old guys:)

David Keller

This is a great looking egg, and it's an even better idea... Mandatory turning time for holidays! I think I see a new family tradition on the horizon.

MartinPens

Thanks!
This is the best egg I've done to date. The size and shape are very close to an actual egg. I did it free hand. I have a measuring method as well that I've used in previous years.
These are tough to make. At least I find them tough to make. Every year after I make one I say "now I remember why I only make one of these a year!

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nicely done, I've been trying to get into the habit of regularly making some seasonal / holiday items.

MartinPens

I made two of them, but the first one ended up small and shaped a little bottom heavy. The hardest part for me is after turning (the tip of the egg is still attached), sanding and finishing 99% of the egg and separating it - is making the jam chuck and finishing the tip without screwing the thing up. If I were making more than a few of these a year I would want a self centering chuck with long finger-like jaws that could grasp the egg. Getting the jam chuck just right to hold the egg is a pain.

I feel a bit SCRAMBLED when I'm done!

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Top Bottom