Eagle's blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

With all of the talk about Eagle's blanks, it has me wondering
why certain people believe his blanks are worth more than anyone else's blanks.
Is it the fact that he passed, like most artist's?
You have to keep in mind, most people, including myself, never knew him and have never heard of him before this site.
So, telling a potential customer that the pen is made from a Eagle blank is going to mean nothing, in most cases.
Maybe it's the fact that a person knew him personally. That is a sentimental value, which doesn't translate to a higher cost to potential customers.
After looking at several of the pictures of his blanks, how is one to know a blank is an authentic Eagle blank? They look simple enough and could easily be replicated. After a blank is finished and placed on a pen, there isn't anything that could show authenticity.
If I had one of his blanks, I would treat it like any other blank. I would use it and modify it, if I saw fit to make changes or cut it to add to a segmented pen. That probably makes a few of you cringe...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Dan.

I also came to IAP after Eagle passed. Looking at the Facebook site of his work is very telling. He was an incredible artist without the benefit of what we have (or possibly the inclination to use such tools); and more importantly - he was an incubator of ideas!

And, the benefit of being told: "Go figure it out" is a valuable lesson we can all benefit from. I just finished my first acceptable Celtic Knot, and that experience gave me a deep appreciation of what other's have done.

Eagle's Blanks... Well, they are a valuable piece of the IAP history. And as the Caretaker of the IAP Collection, I strongly believe that as techniques, methods, tools, etc progress, it will be valuable in 5, 10+ years to have some of the history preserved. And, it would be nice to have a representation of those that established the craft that we all now enjoy!

I hope the blanks are appreciated.

Just a few thoughts.

H2O

Hi Dan.

I also came to IAP after Eagle passed. Looking at the Facebook site of his work is very telling. He was an incredible artist without the benefit of what we have (or possibly the inclination to use such tools); and more importantly - he was an incubator of ideas!

I wouldn't use the term "incredible" or "incubator of ideas".
He had a talent of using basic methods on a small scale. The methods have been around for many years. I've seen similar patterns done on bowls, vases, etc.

And, the benefit of being told: "Go figure it out" is a valuable lesson we can all benefit from. I just finished my first acceptable Celtic Knot, and that experience gave me a deep appreciation of what other's have done.

I've seen some of the posts where someone was told to "Go figure it out". It always ends up with... this is a place to share ideas and help explain how to accomplish a certain task, or similar.
Again, and no offense, but a Celtic knot is another basic method. It's also been done for many years on several items.

Eagle's Blanks... Well, they are a valuable piece of the IAP history. And as the Caretaker of the IAP Collection, I strongly believe that as techniques, methods, tools, etc progress, it will be valuable in 5, 10+ years to have some of the history preserved. And, it would be nice to have a representation of those that established the craft that we all now enjoy!

Eagle's blanks may well be part of IAP history, but are there not many other artist's that contribute to the history? I've seen many blanks and pens here, that are just as impressive.
Wasn't Eagle banned from IAP? I thought I read a post on that while searching the site.

I hope the blanks are appreciated.

Just a few thoughts.

The question still remains unanswered. I gather that it is a sentimental connection that increases the cost of the blanks for certain individuals that had a personal attachment. I'm sure those that were close to him, will treasure what he left behind.

edstreet

Yes and more. ..

This is really no different than the guitars that BB King used, the Mona Lisa, or any painting by Leonardo da Vinci, a painting by Bob Ross or any other painter; an original Ansel Adams print and so on. Artist? yes. Historical? yes. Artifact? yes. Creative? yes. Sets the bar/standard for others to follow? yes.

Oh and for the record Martin's Eagle Eye Blanks Eric Beuker makes some for sale.

Also other similar style work. Marquetry by Dimitris

You have to keep in mind, most people, including myself, never knew him and have never heard of him before this site.
So, telling a potential customer that the pen is made from a Eagle blank is going to mean nothing, in most cases.

I had 3 people tell me this past week things like "I sold a pen with an eagle blank on it for $600, I wish now I had never sold that."

I am not certain but odd's are very high those blanks are not going to be turned or sold.

Maybe it's the fact that a person knew him personally. That is a sentimental value, which doesn't translate to a higher cost to potential customers.

One need not have meet, talked to, or seen the artist to appreciate art history. In fact there is a whole field dedicated to the very subject. Having the original Mona Lisa DOES translate to a higher cost to a potential customer. No different here but we have a blank and for a fraction of the cost ;)

After looking at several of the pictures of his blanks, how is one to know a blank is an authentic Eagle blank? They look simple enough and could easily be replicated. After a blank is finished and placed on a pen, there isn't anything that could show authenticity.

Untrue. You can determine the fingerprint of the blank fairly easy and accurately. Some here can replicate some of his work and fingerprinting will spot those rather quickly.

If I had one of his blanks, I would treat it like any other blank. I would use it and modify it, if I saw fit to make changes or cut it to add to a segmented pen. That probably makes a few of you cringe...

This is just like the uncirculated coins and currency, say the 3 legged buffalo nickel in MS65 condition where some fool uses it to buy a drink at the soda machine.

Lets see here.

Bottom line is this, not many can tell you what type of personality and attitude Leonardo Da Vinci had but practically everyone can tell you what the Mona Lisa is. The art work lives on if it is bold enough to stand on its own. There are other iconic legends as well and sadly many are unable to see their work or able to list them. Also worth noting this has always been the fail of the pen makers guild.

Attachments

• 261800_1819943299973_5909625_n.jpg
    261800_1819943299973_5909625_n.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 19156_1181651583079_6083547_n.jpg
    19156_1181651583079_6083547_n.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 261229_1819942619956_555538_n.jpg
    261229_1819942619956_555538_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 222
Here here, Ed!

I have not met the man either and personally I would not sell any blanks created by him if I owned them. I were to turn the blanks they would be turned onto a very beautiful pen and then kept to be shown publicly either on lend to a collection or a museum. Art is meant to be displayed and his was a master.

Gin N' Tonic

perhaps I can add to this thread.

I knew Eagle and I considered him a friend. We had a rocky relationship because we were both hard headed and very opinionated. Unfortunately we were on the outs when he passed but he is laid to rest across town so I go there on occasion to make sure his site is clean and taken care of.

Dan,

I don't think there is an answer to your question. Why do so many think a Picasso or a Monet is worth more than other paintings? Personally, I've seen better.

Eagle was an innovator who pushed many of us to be better and more creative. His gruff attitude often put people off but I can tell you from experience that if you truly tried to figure it out and ran into a roadblock, he would point you in the right direction. He detested tutorials because he thought that you never learned from them except to copy that which someone has already done. He was one of few people who in the short time he was involved in the craft, helped to advanced us more than most.

I'll close with a fact that many people might not have known. Eagle and his family lived in South Carolina, not too far from the U.S. Army training base at Fort Jackson. On Friday nights they would go out for Pizza and Eagle would always have a pen or two in his pocket that he would give to any military personnel that he ran into to thank them for their service.

His favorite saying was "Learn to think outside the pen box"

I'm proud to say that he inspired me to look beyond the standard "kit" and spurred me to attempt things that I never would have tried without his encouragement.

Scott

jttheclockman

You know Dan if Eagle was still alive, that is exactly what he would have said to do with it.

He was an innovator. He pushed the envelope when pen turning was in its infancy. He pushed others. Pen turning as we know it today was not always this way. The amount of kits and materials used today is a product of people like him. Every pen turner in some way is contributing to the hobby and maybe there are followers watching you and your work and you are inspiring them and you do not even know it. Eagle was inspiring and did not even know it. Some people just stand out in the crowd and he was one of those people so to have a part of his legacy is pretty cool. It is a way of honoring him.

Who would be the next Eagle??? Maybe that story is still being written. Maybe it will be you Dan. There have been some very talented people come through this site that you have never met either. Their work could also easily be as memorable and wanted.

CMYERS52

JUST CURIOUS

You know as I was watching the Eagle blank thread I was wondering where is all the money going off of the sell of the blanks. I'm sure the man was talented but was he more than most of the other artists on the sight. It just seems to me that someone took the passing of a pen artist to make some profit. Just my two cents worth.

tbroye

The Eagle blanks were sold to help the current owner is suffering some health and financial issues it was a fund raise not some one trying to make a profit. Eagle's blanks pushed the limit as far as creativity. Value is really in the eye of the purchaser. What makes an old 65 Ferrari worth more than 65 Mustang? Did you read the thread on the reason for the Auction? The explanation was there. It is located as a Sticky at the top of the Casual Conversations Forum.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
This is a direct quote from something Eagle wrote. Please do not ask where I got this but it is definitely from his keyboard. For those who did not know him, it is some insight into his philosophy.

[FONT=&quot]For me to write a tutorial on anything is the same thing as me standing on a soapbox and screaming "Look how great this is and see what I have done!" I have gotten a reputation that I did not seek. I just want to make something that has not been done before and might wind up being "new and innovative". I love woodworking though I have never been a great flat work woodworker. I hate finishing, I hate sanding, I hate sharpening. I love to run wood through my table saw and see the resulting cut and how[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]accurate I was and see the smoothness of the wood. I love to see different woods in combination with others (patterns). Making the blanks that I make allows me to use a minimum outlay in materials and still get to run my saws. There is also the idea of creating something that is unlike anything anyone else makes. I guess that might fall under the heading of new and innovative. I was once asked by a manger of[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]a Woodcraft store," Why can't you make the pens the way they are supposed to be made, i.e. like the ones displayed in the catalogue?" I won't bother finishing the conversation here but I don't shop at that WC store very often anymore and stayed out of it for a year. I sell my pens. To get interest from a shop keeper I need to show them something they have never seen before, though no two pieces of wood are exactly alike, pens made of the same wood will look similar and there are a lot of people making pens with the visions of supporting their "habit". That is where selfishness comes in. With the advent of the internet, we are all in competition with each other. Can you give me a valid reason to give up any secrets I may have or why on earth I would tell you exactly how I do something as in making a particular kind of blank? If I show a picture and someone decides to make a pen like it, I may have just given them the ammunition to go out and shoot me with my own idea. I aint going to load the gun for them too. Here[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]comes what I might call the noble reason. Each blank comes from an idea I gave birth to. Getting to the end result may take a lot of hours depending on the complexity of the design or the materials I envision making it with. Just coming up with the idea is usually the hardest part. If I go ahead and tell how I do something step by step I am robbing someone of the joy of discovery when the idea comes out as envisioned. Look what I made is not the same as look what I copied because I followed instructions. Lastly I have a conscience. Though I do not practice unsafe operations when I make a certain cut with a saw I am still vulnerable to getting hurt. I have no control of the wood working skills of anyone one but myself. If I don't feel qualified to make a cut safely I try to find another way that is more safe. I make jigs to do these operations as safely as I can and the risk of injury is still possible. Lastly is time. It takes a long time to write what only takes a few minutes to do when you do that by instinct or experience. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I didn't know Eagle either....but I do have one of his pens proudly displayed in my collection. A rather plane jane pen...I also have an initialed jug that he made in one of the several shadow boxes my wife has holding various objects. I don't know how widespread Eagle's reputation was, but I do know he was well known and respected by a lot of folks who did know him here.

BTW The pen will not change hands for $500.00 and I don't have a whole lot of pens that I will say that about.

Top Bottom