Eagle / Knotty pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skewer

Skewer

My 'backup' knotty pine blank from George's contest. Some of the pictures are kind of dark/yellow, but the pen is mostly a greyish blue color. There are some 'oily' green and yellow streaks running through it that add to the spots that would otherwise look kind of plain - the pen portion itself has a lot of cats-eye around the knots.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 273
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, well...!

Seems that, you put your "spare" blank to a good use, huh...?

Absolutely stunning finish, fit and shape are spot on too, congrats...!:wink::biggrin:

Your pics come out with the same brown shade as the ones from Gofer, we all know that the true colour of those blanks is a blue/greyish, there were a few pics in the recent contest that were very true to the blanks colour, and that was great to see.

While the colour of this batch was quite pleasant, I tried a stronger (more blue dye) on the second batch and yesterday I finish a third batch where I was able to mix some red dye (that only arrived recently) with the blue and create that "violet" shade that I done before, on other stabilized blanks...!

I will be sorting them out today, in packs of 4 but, in the piv I took yesterday evening, I notice some blanks showing some green around the knots, that is actually the real colour, for some reason, the red mixed with the blue, has created this greenish shade, where most of the now, crystallized natural resin exists, giving an extra effect that I believe, will make these blanks even more interesting.

I may have to turn a sample to see how they come out with a good CA gloss coat or, until someone makes a pen from one of these and show if here on IAP.

I will be listing these blanks either tonight or tomorrow...!

It will be interesting to see if the other contesters are also making a pen with they spare blank, unless, they had to use it due to "failure" on the first attempt, that is certainly, not uncommon...!

Thanks for making a second pen and share it with all of us...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Top Bottom