Dying Holly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Got a Brake Bleeder kit from Harbor Freight . Put a Holly blank in with some Rit Dye . Any idea how long to leave it in there ? :redface:

Thanks for the help !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Till you got a good brake pedal? Don't ya just hate a smart @$$!! :devil:Will be anxious to see final product, tho.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I dyed one with ink under pressure. It did OK but I was not totally pleased with it so I dabbed ink on the turned blank and let it dry overnight. Then CA'd it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I dyed one with ink under pressure. It did OK but I was not totally pleased with it so I dabbed ink on the turned blank and let it dry overnight. Then CA'd it.

Thanks Hank ! I'm just messing around with some Rit dye . So , I'll just have to see how this works out . I got the idea from one of my buddies . He does all kinds of stuff .

Fred

The girl nextdoor !

:biggrin: I'm gonna mount Holly on the lathe ! The dye is to hide the wrinkles ! Thanks for asking !! :biggrin:

OK, we all will just wait right here for the pictures of you and Holly on the lathe. I just bet the ways will be rather uncomfortable though! Cold too! :eek:

Oh yea, you better watch it about backing up unless you remove your live center first else you just might get an unpleasant surprise ...!

Remember, you posted it here first!!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will say that holly does great justice to dye colors, at least on the surface. That one pen was the most beautiful blue on wood that I have seen in any picture. I am planning on making another this summer or fall.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I will say that holly does great justice to dye colors, at least on the surface. That one pen was the most beautiful blue on wood that I have seen in any picture. I am planning on making another this summer or fall.

I agree with you about the color of the dye on Holly . I may abandon the vacuum , and dye the wood after turning the blank . Much simpler , although I wanted a red , white and blue segment . I have already drilled one blank to help the penetration process . Will check it out today !

Top Bottom