Dyeing & stabalizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Downes

I am about to dive into stabalization. I appreciate the opinions from the other concurrent post on stabalization. I was going to get some nelsonaite but have decided to forgo that and use acetone/plex. The comments on xylene being a carcinogenic gave me some pause. Besides, I've already been using acetone so I've already been exposed:D. My question concerns combining dyes with the stabalization mix. Has any of youse persons tried this? I suppose the double dyeing process is a trade secret. I have been wondering if it is simply changing the vacuum pressure to get different penetration related to wood density. I would think you would dye the lighter color first. What dyes are concidered the best for wood? I have some aniline dyes I was going to try. I have a limitless supply of spaulted maple, and figured to experiment with that wood and perhaps boxelder to see what works. Any comments/ideas?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Paul,

Yes you can indeed combine dye with plexi-tone. I added blue Transtint dye to a batch and have done a number of blanks with it. Here is a pen I made with one of the blanks. The wood is 90 degree cross cut spalted hackberry. Works pretty well.

dyedhackberry2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom