Dyed Big Leaf and Stabilized Buckeye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greenmtnguy

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
The first is a Big Leaf Maple with food coloring dye finished with 6 coats of medium CA and wet micromeshed.
1_Brown_bigleaf.jpg

The second is one of Constant's stabilized Buckeye blanks. See the product review for my comments on this blank. 6 coats of medium CA and wet micromeshed.
1_constant_buckeye.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Alton, you may have mentioned this and I missed it. How are you applying your CA? One more thing, noticed you have changed to a med CA, why? Thanks and very nice as always.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Bob,
I apply the CA with the lathe running at the same speed that I turn at. I drizzle CA on the top of the blank while smoothing it at the bottom of the blank with a folded paper towel. Not drops, a small drizzle.I apply 3 coats, sand with 400 grit to kill the shine which is smoothing ridges. Apply 2 or 3 more coats, sand with 400 or OOOO steel wool to smooth and wet micromesh. The thin CA slings and the medium seems to give me a smoother coat= faster finish.

NI Joe

Beautiful pens Alton! What's your experience with the food coloring dyes? Any issues with fading over time? Seems like a great way to get a wide range of colors inexpensively.

All the best, Joe

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Joe,
I did have fading with electric Pink. The other colors have held up for about 2 years with no sign of fading. I use gels from sugarcraft, a bakery supply house online.

Top Bottom