Dyed Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davidrei

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrei

Tried this just to see what would happen. Dye is SolarLux Blood Red with a few drops of medium brown Transtint, thined with DNA. The black classic was dyed, thin CA sanding sealer, sanded 320 through MM 12000, then re-dyed and finished with CA.

2006626122_Antler%20dyed%20classic%203.jpg

Started to do the same with this comfort pen, but after sanding, I decided I liked the look, so I skipped the re-dye.

20066261321_Antler%20dyed%20comfort.jpg

Critiques & comments welcomed, as always.

Dave Reinhardt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I really like the contrast of the dyed porous areas and the smooth white areas. Being down in the pores, I would suspect that the color will last longer. Let us know how the color holds.

Rifleman1776

Normally, I am a proponent of leaving natural things natural. But you pulled it off with these two. Both look great and the antler looks like antler. Elegant pens but with a definate primitive appeal. Great finishes. I like.

davidrei

Travis,
The Solar-Lux and TransTint is available many places, try woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=7234
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1718

davidrei

oobak,

For what it's worth, I don't plan on getting any more of the black classic kits. The tenon for the center band is very short, and at least for me, if things aren't aligned perfectly, the black plastic by the nib is easily scratched. As a matter of fact this pen will never be seen by anyone else other than in this pic. I tried to add a small drop od CA to better secure the CB, and a little got into the threads in the cap. It wasn't visible after assembly, but it scratched the nib plastic beyond repair. Probably a bad move on my part, but it's just not something I need to worry about ever again. Lots of other kit choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom