dust hood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

does anyone have a good idea for a dust hood for the lathe? perhaps an unconventional one you may have found serendipitously? i've seen the ones on rockler and such but have yet to find something that will work that is a tad cheaper... shop-built ones would be nice to see also. thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

also, i've been meaning to ask this: what company makes the dust collection bags some of you use to replace the stock ones to get down on the micron scale? is it grizzly?

RonInSpringTX

Andrew, check out Penn State Industries (PSI) they have hood with a 4"x10" opening for $8.95 (that was a sale price, normally $12.95)
Also, a 13"x16" one for $15.95 (normally $27.95) first one is called "midi gulp" #DBGULP2....second one "big gulp" #DBGULP. Standard 4" port.

here's the link http://www.pennstateindustries.com/ Hope this helps!!!!

later, Ronnie

rjwolfe3

I have one I just picked up from PSI with a magnet to attach to backside of lathe. I like it a lot better then just the hose. It seems to catch a lot more dust and fumes. So far it doesn't seem to be in the way but I've only used it for a week or so. It is a flip up lid to allow you to get close to the blank. One thing I did notice is that the tool rest seems to get in the way of the magnet but I was able to tilt it just a little and it works good now. If I was more mechanically inclined I could probable figure out how to offset it so that there is no interference. But me likes it now.:D

sbell111

Last Christmas, I outfitted our garage with a lathe and dust collection system. Unfortunately, the local woodcraft store was out of lathe hoods and I couldn't get one shipped to me by Christmas. I went to the local Home Depot, which of course has no dust collection stuff, at all. However, they did have ductwork.

For a temporary fix, I picked up a 10"x6" floor register box. I fitted it with an L bracket with sheet metal screws, and affixed it to a length of 2x4 that I clamped to the lathe base. I covered the sharp sheet metal edges and slid on the six-inch dust collection hose and we were in business. It worked very well and only cost about 6 bucks.

It worked so well, that we are still using it, awaiting my routing permanent cust collection tubes throughout the shop. Soon, the shed will be complete and I'll get on that project.

sbell111

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher

You can get a .3 (point 3) micron bag from Grizzley. They are around $35-$40 plus freight.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H4340

I put one on my HF mini(the red one) 1hp dust collector.
I went with the HF two HP dust collector and 1 micron canister conversion. It basically turns a collector that is similar to Grizzly's G1029Z to one that is kinda like their G0548 for $100 less.

I currently use a homebuilt fan-based air filter to get any missed dust, but am considering building one that uses a blower to move more air through it. I seriously doubt that I will ever remove enough dust to allow the car to stay in the garage, but at least we can avoid breathing as much dust as possible.

palmermethod

Originally posted by rjwolfe3

I have one I just picked up from PSI with a magnet to attach to backside of lathe...

I have the same one and it does work well with wood. Acrylic though, with the long strings doesn't get sucked up well. Most seems to end up on me or the lathe bed.

Plus when turning larger acrylic squares (bottle stopper blanks), the first bits attack my hands. I am thinking of detaching the flexible vacuum pipe and get it really close to acrylic.

But for wood and finishing operations the hood works fine. And it's pretty cheap too.

Chasper

Originally posted by rjwolfe3

I have one I just picked up from PSI with a magnet to attach to backside of lathe...

I have the same one and it does work well with wood. Acrylic though, with the long strings doesn't get sucked up well. Most seems to end up on me or the lathe bed.

Plus when turning larger acrylic squares (bottle stopper blanks), the first bits attack my hands. I am thinking of detaching the flexible vacuum pipe and get it really close to acrylic.

But for wood and finishing operations the hood works fine. And it's pretty cheap too.

Same here also. I have the magnet attaching hood from PSI. It is convienent to be able to move it around and configure it in different ways. I have an adaptor that takes it down to a 2 inch hose that goes to a shop vac. It does a great job on fumes and dust, but leaves a lot of shavings on the lathe. That is not the fault of the hood, it's the shop vac that can suck enough through the small hose.

Top Bottom