DUST COLLECTION

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSCAR15

I have a 1hp Delta DC. Not the greatest, but better than nothing. I have
not been able to get collection hose in right position to effectively work. I have built jigs (none too effective). I am considering buying a lathe hood. Any suggestions? How do they mount to lathe? I have also tried using a large hood (general type, not specific to lathe). It doesn't woork too great.
Penn State advertises a small (for mini lathe) hood. Anyone try it?
Please advise. All suggestions are welcome. I spend more time cleaning than woodworking! Thanks

Daniel

Dave,
One explaination that really got a good picture in my head when it came to dust collecting was this. imagine trying to blow out a match by blowing through a drinking straw. not to difficult.
now think about trying to put out anouther match by sucking through that straw. that is what your dust collector is trying to do. no hood is going to help if there is not enough air moving to collect the dust in the first place. an example. my dust collector is 3H.P. has 6" pipes hoses and connections. and runs a 14" impellor moving over 600 cubic feet of air a minute at something like 300 feet per minute. and this is not really enough for complicated reasons. but it is one of the better commercialy made collectors.
I once tried to use my shop vac, I had someone hold the hose right at the turning tool and it would not collect all the dust. jsut some food for thought when it comes to really getting that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom