Dust collection equipment for floor cleaning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JamesB

Anyone have any recommendations on good lightweight "hand held" dust collection accessories mainly floor cleaning?
I haven't been woodworking for awhile due to health and the fear of germs in the garage. Sucking up sand and dog hair shouldn't hurt the DC right? All I have is an HF dust collector with 4 inch hose. I have a shop vac too but the DC will work much better if we get good cleaning attachments.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use the hose and fittings from an old whole house vaccum, works great if you can find one. I had to buy a connector from woodcraft that would fit my duct and neck dow to the size of the hose.

reiddog1

James,

I have the same HF DC but got all my accessories from Rockler. I actually have the quick disconnect system and it is very versatile. I bought adapters in various sizes to fit my other tools and I can now use the expandable hose to go from tool to tool very quickly. I also bought their floor sweep attachment and it works very well. I really love the set up. Hope this helps.

http://www.rockler.com/m/product.cfm?page=30200

Dave

Rodnall

If your worried about the fine dust you need to put a hepa filter on the shop vac and a different filter on the dust collector. I have the HF dust collector, but made a 2 stage and put on a wynn filter Cartridge Filters

PaulDoug

A Dust Deputy and a Hepa filter on you shop vac will do a good job on the floor. I use to vacuum my shop floor with my dust collector but decided I didn't like what the dropped screws and nails must have been doing to the impeller on the dust collector.

I know it won't help you with the dust, but I just use a straw broom on the floor of my shop... there is a floor sweep attachment for the 4" hose that can be place or mounted and swept into, I have one, but never use it... for the fine dust you will need some sort of whole shop dust/air cleaner....I need one myself, but my shop has too many holes around the roof line where the corrugated roof fits the headers to make them effective.

JamesB

I posted the question at Wood Magazine's forum too and was roundly chastised for even thinking of it!
The decision is to buy dust collection accessories or a new shop vac since mine is so old and tiny.
Thanks for your help, I will try something.

Top Bottom