Dumb Question of the Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirportFF

I'm sure that this has been covered before. I searched and didn't really find an answer. I know that to some of you this may be a "trade secret" but does anyone have a good source for Amboyna, Buckeye, Thuya, Afzilia burls? I've been poking around Ebay, but by the time you pay shipping from 3-4 different folks, it's not worth it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

click on the home page on this website.
then click on the links.
check out woodturners catalog, arizona silhouette, pen state inds.

also check out all the other links.

hope this helps.

gerryr

I purchased wood from PSI just once and would not recommend it, very poor quality stuff. Of the three mentioned by leatherjunkie, I would only recommend AZ Silhouette, if you want first class wood. Also, don't forget Dario, BigRob, Lee Tree Woodworks.

AirportFF

I don't buy much of anything from PSI. Had some bad experiences with the last year.

Pretty much what I was looking for was a member that also sold blanks. I'd rather give my money to someone on here than someone I don't know. I'll look into the names you mentioned thanks

AirportFF

Originally posted by gerryr
<br /> Dario, BigRob, Lee Tree Woodworks.

Before I start bothering individuals, do any of these folks have a website? I checked Dario's profile but the only thing there was his email. I don't want to step on anyones toes...

stevers

I also had a bad experience with PSI, back order still hasnt come from a month and a half ago. Never again. Plus they shipped my order UPS ground when I asked for USPS priority. Took two weeks.
Steve

AirportFF

Originally posted by stevers
<br />I also had a bad experience with PSI, back order still hasnt come from a month and a half ago. Never again. Plus they shipped my order UPS ground when I asked for USPS priority. Took two weeks.
Steve
Mine wasn't a shipping problem, it was a QC problem. Half of the slimline kits that a cuctomer wanted had the plating flaking off. They made good on replacements. But it threw my schedule and delivery times way off. So I stopped using them, why ask for problems, right?

vbatwork

I've received some VERY nice Thuya burl from Bill Baumbeck at Arizona Silhouette. I like the fact that Bill's burls are already dry and stabilized where most of what I see on Ebay is not. He also carrys the other woods you mentioned.

Bill if you're reading this, no kick back is neccesary! [:D]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I placed an order with PSI several weeks ago. The converter I needed for the chuck was on backorder. I was "assured" that the converter would arrive that Friday (two days after I placed the order). I was charged and received the chuck, which will do me no good without the converter, but still have not received the converter. Called PSI, arrival now set to middle of February. Was told they were having quality problems with the converters when they received them, so they keep shipping them back. May or maynot be received in Feb...may or may not ever receive them.

Thanks for the warm fuzzy.

Not meant as a bash for company, just be aware that if you order something backorder from PSI, put on your patience suit and your good luck charm.

AirportFF

Originally posted by gerryr
<br /> Also, don't forget Dario, BigRob, Lee Tree Woodworks.

Allright, I emailed Dario last week, no reply yet. Looked under the member list and couldn't find BigRob or Lee Tree Woodworks. I'm sure that they have a different user names, but I have noticed that on this site people automatically assume that newcomers know these folks. I may be speaking out of turn here, but if someone asks a question, it usually means that they don't know the answer and speaking in "code" or using some of the odd abbreviations that I have seen here isn't helping them to learn anything.
I'm quite aware that I can buy blanks at PSI, Craft supplies, etc. I would rather give my money to a member of the forums.
Sorry that this post seems a little hostile, but it gets very frustrating trying to figure out what the heck people are talking about.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Clint--You are so very right. Those of us who have been on this forum a long time forget that our cryptic responses are sometimes not the least bit helpful. Lee-tree is Lee Tannenbaum. His email and contact information can be found here http://www.penturners.org/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=652 . BigRob777 is Rob Curtis and his email can be found here http://www.penturners.org/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=1276 . As far as I know, Rob doesn’t have a website yet. I’m not sure about Dario. Each of these three (and other, I’m sure) can be contacted via their email in order to get more information.

AirportFF

That's all I was looking for. Thank You. I know from being a moderator on another site how annoying NOOBS can be. I'll try to find the answer myself before asking. But it's those "cryptic" answers that help no one.

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom