Dual Gators

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

My grandkids decided that they absolutely needed (yes, grandpa can't say no:big grin:) alligator jawbone pens. They selected the blanks from the Classic Nib site, then they drilled them and glued the tubes in. I did the turning, but they did the polishing and assembly. It's great when an 8 and 9 year old would rather work in the shop than play a video game. My granddaughter picked the purple and my grandson got the gold and purple.

Comments and critiques always welcome and appreciated.

Hope everyone is enjoying the true spirit of the 4th!

Attachments

• pair of gators closed.jpg
    pair of gators closed.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Pair of gators open.jpg
    Pair of gators open.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Thanks, Russ and Harry.

Harry, they have turned bowls, candlesticks and pens. They've each made about 4 pens/magnetic pickups. I think the most fun they had was when I gave them a box of leftover cuts from pen blanks and had them glue them up in any order they wanted. I may post a picture of my granddaughter sitting on the back of the lathe (Powermatic 3520) and cranking the tail stock to drill the blanks (she was 6 at the time). All she needed was a cowboy hat!

I didn't have them turn the gator blanks because they're kind of pricey. When they get a bit older and have turned more pens, then I'll turn 'em loose!

OZturner

Probably two of the Most Treasured Pens you have had a hand in John.

Any Time spent with your Grandchildren in the Work Shop is Priceless.
I agree, Particularly when they are willing and want to leave the Electronics to get close and dirty with Grandpa in the Workshop.

You are a very Fortunate Man, John.
Congratulations, Grandpa.
Brian

elkhorn

Thans, Dan and Brian. Brian you're spot on - that time with the granddads in the shop is priceless. I love it when we go to a woodturning or pen show and they pick up an item and start feeling the finish, especially if it is a bowl or hollow form, and give their honest opinion. Same with checking out the pens (mine included)-even grandpa is not safe from their observations:big grin:

Take care, all.

Top Bottom