Drying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I wasn't sure where to put this question so will start here:
This is a pretty standard problem we have all dealt with - how do I dry green wood so I can make a pen? For most of us a couple of pen blanks in DNA, microwave, toaster oven or some thing like that will work.
I have a customer that shipped me 8 logs 15" dia about 20" long. Fresh cut. Pine and Cypress. All for pen blanks and turned boxes. I am cutting all on my bandsaw (3/4" blade makes a HUGE difference!) The box blanks are creating a problem - they are 3x3x8" and I don't know how to dry them. I have contacted a couple of kiln operators and they won't fire up their kilns for such a small order and the pitch residue they don't want. Normally I could cut and seal the ends and let it set till dry but I need to start delivering these by the end of august.

Anybody have any ideas?

SDB777

There are a number of DIY home kilns plans that utilize de-humidifiers. Most are small enough to use inside a garage(on wheels to move around), typical size for these are 8x4x4{think five sheets of plywood sized} feet(or even a bit smaller).

I personally air dry my stuff from my sawmill. The price reflects that though....

Scott (green wood is fine for roughing bowls) B

low_48

For that quick of delivery, cut the blanks slightly oversized and put them in the microwave. Plenty of directions on the internet on microwave drying. A small kiln will likely not get them dried in time, especially the 3x3. And especially if you have to take the time to build one. Remember, the wood has to get over 135 degrees at the end of the drying cycle to kill bugs and larvae.

Last edited:
Top Bottom