Drying Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Floyd

Has anyone tried to dry material by just pulling a vacuum on it?
AC systems are dried by pulling a vacuum on it so why could wood not be dried in the same manner?
At sealevel, water will boil at about 26/27 hg.
I've done a search but found little.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Read about it and saw it happen when I vacuum my blanks to stabilize but with acetone which really boils. How it works with water I haven't tried yet.

Like Hank...I use the microwave too.

pssherman

Floyd,
Yes, it can be done but there are some hurdles to overcome. First, as the water evaporates it cools the wood which then must be heated to continue the evaporation. This is not easily done in a vacuum. Second, along with the water some other chemicals also become vaporized which can deteriorate the seals in your vacuum pump if they weren't meant for this type of work. IMHO, the microwave method is much easier and more cost effective for the size and quantity of wood that penturners will use. Do a search on drying and you should get lots of ideas.

Paul in AR

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Vacuum kilns are a very fast way of drying lumber and are used frequently in the lumber business. Here is an article I found on Woodweb that might interest you. It may also bore you to death!

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Vacuum_kiln_drying.html

Floyd

Thanks for the link, it didn't really address my questions and is more complicated than I want to go into at this time.
I guess I'll have to start experimenting and find my own answers.
Floyd

Nolan

Here is a link to more info http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?board=8.0

I feel this is the future in kilns. You can basically dry faster and more controlled with vacumm. Basically you pull a vaccumm and heat the wood at the same time. You need to leave a high moisture content in the chamber to keep the outside of the wood wet so the lumber dries from the inside out. Ask Den on the drying forum as he will be happy to help.
Nolan

Floyd

Thank you, That link is more what I was looking for.
There is a lot of information there and will keep me busy for some time, meanwhile, my new lathe will be here tommorrow.
I am very excited and looking forward to this new hobby/career alhough at my age, I'm supposed to keep the excitement under control.
Oh, to hell with it, WWHHEEEEEEE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom