Drying larger chunks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Haynie

Haynie

I know you can put pen blanks in the oven but what about larger pieces like pepper mill blanks? Got some nice Walnut from a member but this stuff is too wet to turn yet.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I have never done it but you could try soaking it in DNA for a couple of days. The DNA will displace the water in the blank and cause it to dry faster. I would coat the ends w/ Ancorseal when it comes out and then weigh it once a week until you get the same weight for a couple of days straight. I use a scale from HF that cost $20 and it works fine.

lorbay

I know you can put pen blanks in the oven but what about larger pieces like pepper mill blanks? Got some nice Walnut from a member but this stuff is too wet to turn yet.
Microwave. I can get 12 x 16 chunks of wood in mine.

Lin.

Haynie

Microwave? Really? How long does that take? Might try that with one.

Right now I have them in the rafters of our shop. It is still pretty warm here and that means the rafters still get like an oven for part of the day.

Last edited:

jbswearingen

Right now I have them in the rafters of our shop. It is still pretty warm here and that means the rafters still get like an oven for part of the day.

You nuke it for 20 seconds, let it cool (three min or so, I think), and then weigh it. Keep doing this until it no longer gets lighter.

NEVER walk away from the appliance. If there's a piece of metal or a sap pocket inside, the wood might catch on fire.

Google "microwave wood drying" to get better advice on techniques. My advice: Don't do this in the kitchen. It'll stink to heaven.

lorbay

If I am drying a bowl blank, say a 12" bowl about 1" thick. I put it into a brown paper bag and put it on high for a min or a little longer (until it is quite warm) take it out and let it completely cool. Then put it in a fresh bag and do it again and I do this until I get it to about 6% moisture. The paper bag keeps the moisture contained and not all over the microwave. But as said don't leave it alone.

Lin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom