Dry red coral

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to find 2 large pieces of dry red coral at a good will. My question to anyone is what would be the best way of stablizing this coral in order to cut and turn it. Pr or Aluminite maybe is not the best bet because while fragile, the coral is also very hard like shells and would possibly pull out of the material while being turned and shatter.
Does anyone think that Uraseal (spelling?)would soak into the coral enough to make it turnable? I hate to try too many experiments because I do not want to use it up with mistakes. Does anyone know anything about dry coral first hand and the best way to deal with this?
Thanks! Alice

Attachments

• redcoral.jpg
    redcoral.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 747
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

I would suggest maybe using a file as your turning tool. I'd put a masonary blade in the chop saw and clamp down the coral to cut it.

Cutting it is no problem. A fine hand saw works well. What I want is to stabilize it into a solid block, easy to cut as pen blanks. It is very delicate in this state and would not turn without shattering no matter what one used. Thanks Alice

babyblues

Cutting it is no problem. A fine hand saw works well. What I want is to stabilize it into a solid block, easy to cut as pen blanks. It is very delicate in this state and would not turn without shattering no matter what one used. Thanks Alice

I believe that's what he's talking about. If you cast it in PR or Alumilite, you could use a file to shape it on the lathe instead of a chisel. The file wouldn't chip the coral and pull it out of the resin.

PR_Princess

What an interesting challenge, Alice!

It is difficult to tell from the photo, but could this be red organ pipe coral???:confused: If so, getting all of the little tubes to fill with resin or stabilizing liquid in one go may not be possible. You may want to try casting it first, just to stabilize it enough to be able to cut it into smaller sections. Then recast those sections to fill the exposed tubes. Even then you will probably need to use a lot of CA as you turn it.

Lots of work, but I bet it will make one heck of an interesting pen!!!:cool:

Last edited:

elody21

I believe you are right! It does have many, many tubes. It does seem to be a challenge. I guess that is why I have had it for a couple of years afraid to do something with it! I could try filling some of the tubes first and let it set and then give it a go a second time in the pressure pot. This will surely be a continuing saga! Alice
PS and yes a file or sand paper might be easier than a tool to turn it, if It is turnable. Thanks!

Last edited:

jason_r

Would it be possible to:
1) drill and insert the tubes
2) Rough-turn "too small"
3) do a "re-casting" using one of Charlie's Label casting molds?

Last edited:

elody21

Very good Idea Jason! I have the one of his molds! I'll be sure and let everyone know how this comes out, but probably not until it comes out right! Ha! Ha! Alice
PS instead of rough turning I will probably use sand paper. It is amazing how delicate and tough this is at the same time!

RBoutin

Now that I've seen the photo, stabilizing is definitely NOT the way to go if you were thinking the resin would fill all the voids. If you have access to a good vacuum system, you could stabilize first, which would get the resin into the tubes and deep into the coral, then cast. This would ensure that ALL voids are properly filled. I think if you try to cast with just pressure, you are going to end up with a lot of air pockets when you start drilling and cutting. I don't think either process by itself will give you result you're looking for. My 2 cents anyway.

If so, getting all of the little tubes to fill with resin or stabilizing liquid in one go may not be possible.

RBoutin

ALTHOUGH.... We haven't tried it before, but we COULD submerge it, stabilize it under vacuum, and leave it in its container and cure the entire block. That would essentially be the same as a casting, although without the pressure. If you're a gambler, I'd do that one for free if you'd share your result.

elody21

Sure! Do you want me to send one of the pieces to you? I can be a gambler if I don't have to try it myself. I have not had a lot of luck lately with casting! Are you are saying I get the stabilized block back as long as I post photos of the results on your site? I just want to make sure I understand what the plan is. Thanks! Alice

RBoutin

Sorry for the confusion!! I meant I'll do it for free if you'll be gracious enough to show us the end product. If you want to give it a shot, send it to:

Bob Boutin
Ultraseal America Inc.
4343 Concourse Drive, Suite 340
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

I can have it done and back to you in a few days.

Sure! Do you want me to send one of the pieces to you? I can be a gambler if I don't have to try it myself. I have not had a lot of luck lately with casting! Are you are saying I get the stabilized block back as long as I post photos of the results on your site? I just want to make sure I understand what the plan is. Thanks! Alice

elody21

Sounds Great! It will be on it's way to day! Thanks! Alice I am very excited to see if this works.

elody21

Bob, This is very generous of you! I cut the smaller one in half or at least where the space was. I did not want to be piggy! It is still about 8"high x 6" wide x 4 " thick. So plenty to work with. It will be coming US Priority. I have other things to mail today so it is not problem having it go out today.
Thanks again! Alice

Darley

Nice piece of Coral Alice, baker it up @ 100F for 15 minutes then cast in warm PR pressure @ 70-80 PSI, better to use different PR colour,use sharp tools and light cut have some thin CA on hand finish with wetsanding start @ 240 or 260, but I think you know that, are you going to add Abalone shell to this pen ?

I will wait for the result, Happy turning

Top Bottom