Dry Ink Mess

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnm

I have a pen that was my daily user, it is a long click pen from Lau Lau Wood. I accidently ran it through the washer, casing the ink to blow up in the pen. Once i disassemble it, (the mechanism is bad now) i will have to clean out some ink in the tube, i am sure, what is the best way to do this?

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think I'd try using a pistol or rifle bore brush of the appropriate size, dipped in acetone--being careful not to let the acetone come into contact with the finish, of course--and give the pen a good scrubbing until the tube is clean. Maybe not the best solution, but I think that's how I'd proceed. Good luck!

nava1uni

I use rubbing alcohol to clean out a pen when a refill leaks. I use a small dowel with a piece of alcohol soaked cloth and gently ream out the inside of the pen. It usually doesn't hurt the finish. Some times I plug the end with my finger and pour a little alcohol into the barrel and gently shake it with both ends covered with my fingers. Wear gloves because the ink will discolor your fingers. It works really well and the alcohol dries quickly. You might be able to soak the mechanism is a small dish of alcohol and see if it helps it to work.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Did the same with my Jr Gent daily writer, suprisily all mine did was get REALLY clean!!!! Good Luck my friend.

Randy_

There are probably quite a few solvents that will remove the ink. Some may be injurious to the finish on your wood depending upon what you use.

An old laundry trick is to use hair spray (the cheaper, the better) to remove BP ink stains from clothing. I'm not sure this would be the best solution for a pen; but if all else fails, you might give it a try??

And you might be thinking about a good excuse to explain to your wife why her can of hair spray is out in your shop!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom