Drive thru CROOKS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Susanne's not feeling too well so, she asked if I would run down to Fizzoli's and, get her some Lasagna. No problem....I like their Chicken Carbonara. Cheese cakes with Strawberries too. Drive down two miles, get our orders, and return home. But, only had one cheesecake. Drive back to get the other one. Showed the receipt, and asked for the other one. OK, the girl gets it and, says have a good evening.

What happened to the days when they would say,"sorry for the inconvenience, here's a free one"? It's just something I've noticed.

Taco Bell is another issue. I hate their lettuce 'cause it's usually turning brown and, has a really bad taste. So, I always request NO LETTUCE. There is usually a 50/50 chance, I will get my order with a pile of lettuce covered with the good stuff (cheese,tomato and sauce) so you can't take the lettuce off without stripping the whole thing. They say check your order at the window before you leave. :rolleyes: YES, I need some cheese with this WINE!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

I totally agree that service, integrity, and quality is quickly disappearing.
I fault the owners/trainers for not training employees. All the owners are concerned with is getting the order out as fast as they can.
For me, it's Bush's Chicken. I guess I'm a slow learner, but after 5 straight orders being incomplete/wrong, I no longer visit that restaurant. Did talk to the manager on duty (same one each time) and was told that maybe I gave them the order wrong! He also offered nothing more than a weak apology. I "complimented" him on his poor training of employees...........
You have my sympathy.
gordon

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
One thing I haven't heard in decades is, "The customer is always right". I would hear that when growing up in the 50's . That's just something that came to mind, just now. :rolleyes:

I suspect the girl wanted to bag that "PAID FOR" cheesecake for herself. I mean, there were only TWO, and it said so on their monitor AND, on my receipt. If you don't catch it at the window, you're likely to NOT drive back again. Unless, you've just had enough....like me:wink::biggrin:

low_48

We had quite the opposite experience at Wendy's in Peoria. I am gluten intolerant, and must eat gluten free. Wife goes through the drive up and requests a plain grilled chicken, no bun. She gets home and it's a full sandwich. I tell her to eat her meal while it's hot, but she goes back latter. Goes in and tells the manager on shift what happened and explains it's because of a medical condition. She apologizes, hands the sandwich back to my wife instead of throwing it away like I've seen at other places, and puts two plain grilled chicken in a container. That sandwich and free second grilled chicken gives us both a free meal the next day. Very satisfied!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
We had quite the opposite experience at Wendy's in Peoria. I am gluten intolerant, and must eat gluten free. Wife goes through the drive up and requests a plain grilled chicken, no bun. She gets home and it's a full sandwich. I tell her to eat her meal while it's hot, but she goes back latter. Goes in and tells the manager on shift what happened and explains it's because of a medical condition. She apologizes, hands the sandwich back to my wife instead of throwing it away like I've seen at other places, and puts two plain grilled chicken in a container. That sandwich and free second grilled chicken gives us both a free meal the next day. Very satisfied!
That's what I guess I was expecting but, didn't happen. I suppose it was an easy fix, over and done. Had I actually walked in and, spoke with the manager, I might have gotten different results. But, my supper was at home getting cold.

ottotroll

Unfortunately, the death of good service is DIRECTLY related to the fact that Production aand Manufacturing jobs have left the US - Now, we have mainly service jobs, offering little or no room for advancement. Beyond personal work ethic, what motivation is there for a kid to make your burger right? If the fail at McDonalds, they can go to Burger King, making the same poverty level wage! This is an endless cycle, and we really need to break it! (btw, I go to lunch at the same Wendy's everyday, and order the same thing... athey have only messed up twice in the last 5 years, lol - it's my version of "Cheers"....)

stonepecker

Anyone can make a mistake at anytime. I understand the reasoning.....I just try to understand because I can put myself in their shoes.

This morning I had a great surprise. The cook that made my breakfast actually brought it to my table and "Thanked" me for letting him make my brakfast today.... ",,,,,,,and that you for picking this deli." It was such a surprise to not only recieve such treatment........but my breakfast was perfect.

The best way to reward great service and treatment is to give those the work that deserve it. And I don't care if it flipping butgers, making chicken, trimming my trees, or bagging my pruchases.
Like the 'old time' gas stations........remember when they pumped the gas? Cleaned your windows? "Check the oil, sir?" We are to some degree part of the fault.

southernclay

I saw something great at Chik-Fil-A last weekend, it was raining and they had a young man and young lady at each entrance walking people to and from their cars with umbrellas....both were smiling about it too.

Bear-31

While I agree with "ottotroll" about the lack of motivation and training for todays workers, I also have seen a trend on the customer side. People found if they complain they get things for free. Now they complain just to complain. My wife and I quit going to dinner with a certain set of friends because they complained about everything. If it wasn't how the food was cooked, it didn't come out fast enough, or the wait staff was to slow or to fast. Inevitably they would get something for free...part of their meal, free desert, coupon for next visit. It got old pretty quick for us...I can imagine it gets old on the service side also.

CrimsonKeel

Growing up in a small/medium town one guy owned all the mcdonalds. If you ever had to wait any extended amount of time or pull ahead to let others through then it was an automatic free pie. they just tossed it in the bag. As a kid i always hoped the line was long in the drive through so i could get a free pie :D now a ten minute wait is like here is your food buh bye

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
While I agree with "ottotroll" about the lack of motivation and training for todays workers, I also have seen a trend on the customer side. People found if they complain they get things for free. Now they complain just to complain. My wife and I quit going to dinner with a certain set of friends because they complained about everything. If it wasn't how the food was cooked, it didn't come out fast enough, or the wait staff was to slow or to fast. Inevitably they would get something for free...part of their meal, free desert, coupon for next visit. It got old pretty quick for us...I can imagine it gets old on the service side also.
I think I know that couple. :biggrin: I feel the same. I have nearly always let it go. Maybe the cook or waitress was having an off day or something. We went to the Longhorn Steakhouse a couple months ago. Had a steak and, honestly that was like rubber. The manager came buy, and asked "How was your dinner"? Had to decide, "Tell him or not"? I told him, "That was THE toughest steak I've ever had". Just to be honest and let him know. I know, you don't put cold beef on a grill. So, I was about to ask him why THAT steak was so tough? He said your dinner is on ME. Told him, NO, I came here to pay for two dinners. I just wanted to know WHY, MY steak was tough. He said he couldn't tell me but, my dinner was on him. AGAIN, quick and done with.

BJohn

If you have ever down your grocery shopping at a Kroger's, they go by other names around the country. They always have enough cashiers working along with bagger's who actually ask if you need help taking you purchase out to the car. (and will not take a tip. (Store policy). I actually had the store manager step in bag my groceries on my last trip because the young man that was at that register helped and older lady out with her's.

Just like the old day's

stonepecker

Your tip after a meal and/or compilment to the wait satff is what is important. Your continuing support of that restrauant is what the owner is working for.

If you have a real complaint.....99% of the people want to hear about it so that they can stop the problem. Like I tell the people I work for....."If you are happy with my work....tell others. If you have a problem, tell me and we will fix it. I am not a mind reader."
To complain just to get something for free.......you really are on the wrong side of the street. To always want more is normal. However, when the work you ordered is completed and satisfactory. Let the people know they did the job right that you noticed their good work.

Last edited:

vtgaryw

This is my favorite topic of all time! I could write a book. In fact, I've actually started one.

To me, it's not ever not making a mistake, it's how quickly and contritely they fix it.

My most recent incident was I had a major failure of an outdoor faucet splitter. One of the shut off valves just blew out. And then, the hoses would not unscrew (I know, I should have used teflon taple), but the design was such that the mechanism just spun and spun. I ended up having to cut the hoses off at the end! I'm really steamed. The splitter had a lifetime guarantee, but when I called they said I need the receipt. But, if it's a lifetime guarantee, why? Because it's their policy. The only way I got a replacement was by taking a picture and sending it to them, with the offer to share it with a few million of my closest friends on the Internet. Needless to say, I'll never buy their brand again. It shouldn't have been that hard.

Gary

Growing up in a small/medium town one guy owned all the mcdonalds. If you ever had to wait any extended amount of time or pull ahead to let others through then it was an automatic free pie. they just tossed it in the bag. As a kid i always hoped the line was long in the drive through so i could get a free pie :D now a ten minute wait is like here is your food buh bye

I have a Checkers right across the street from me. Best tasting fast food joint around here, and I refuse to go. Haven't gone there in probably near 20 years now. The place is set up so that once you enter the drive through you can't get out- building on one side and hill on the other. One busy day, it took a few minutes to get to the order window. "Take your order?!?" and "6.35"' or whatever the price, were the only things to come out of the speaker. After another HALF HOUR, we finally made it to the pickup window. "6.35" was all she had to say. All told, it took closer to 40 minutes than 30 to get some "fast food", and no greeting, apology, screw you, nothing. Sadly that's more the rule than the exception these days. Stopped at a Burger King a couple weeks ago. When we exited the drive through, my passenger and I both had this stupid look on our faces. We were both shocked at how pleasant the young man was! That is just sad.

This thread just proves my point and is why I go inside at a fast food place... even though once inside they pay more attention to the drive up window than to live customers at the counter... but I can at least check the order before I leave, if necessary speak to a manager and usually get a more pleasant experience... I think the drive up window in ANY business should be outlawed... we really, really aren't so busy in our lives that we can't take a minute and get out of our cars once in a while.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Devil's Advocate here. I don't work in the food industry, but i'm a store manager at a major retail business. I try and solve an issue if I have a customer complaint. In some instances, I would offer it to them for free for their troubles. I treat everyone like I want to be treated. But there are quite a few people you can not satisfy. These people just want to push your button, in my opinion. And these type of people make it bad for everybody else. I work 14 hours a day, 5 days a week. I see about 400 customers a day as well. I also work in a store that 90% of the customers main language is not English. This is just my .02 from a different perspective.

winterwood

I guess we all must live by the new rule, if 95% of the customers do not complain, then we are doing a great job. Sometimes the older days were great you did not need to check your order before leaving.
D

wouldentu2?

The customer was always right in a time where the seller had a healthy mark-up on the items and could afford to "make it more than right". Today the profit margin is so thin they cannot compensate for small errors unless the person is a known good customer.

Top Bottom