Drilling Square Blanks on Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cole Roberts

I have seen people on this forum talk about drilling square blanks on the lathe. Over Christmas, my girlfriend and her parents bought me the penn state ti coated barracuda chuck set and I now would like to start drilling on the lathe. What are the steps that you all use to drill square blanks? What jaws should I use and what tricks should I know to accurately drill. I only see the article dealing with collet chuck drilling, so if I am missing it I am sorry. Whatever help you all can give would be great and greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mac

I use the pin jaws that have the teeth and will close all the way. I also made a sled for my table saw to insure that my blanks are square. Some ,that you buy might be a little off. I know that the money blanks, that I bought ,were a little off ,on one side, I just ran them through my sled. Hope this helps.

ldb2000

For a little more accuracy you are better off turning your blanks round between centers before you drill the whether you are using a collet or scroll chuck . Your blanks have to be very close to square or you won't be grabbing the blank evenly with all four jaws which can lead to out of round holes or holes that are not centered on the blank .
It really don't take very long to turn them round and you get the bonus of being able to see what the blank should look like after you turn it to size .

Mac

I would like to add, that if its just a plain old wood blank, it does not have to be exactly centered, to drill ,it can be a little off ,the turning process will center it.
Something like a celtec knot would have to be centered before drilling, and the bigger the pen the more that centering counts.

Wheaties

A collet chuck will give you nuts on center. I don't have one though. I don't even have pin jaws. I just hold the square blank inside the jaws that came with it. The jaws that came with mine are like 1 1/2" or something like that, but if you put the blank at the bottom (or inside) the jaws, it will hold just fine.

If you are doing any segmenting that needs to be perfectly square though, I would not recommend this method.

I have seen people on this forum talk about drilling square blanks on the lathe. Over Christmas, my girlfriend and her parents bought me the penn state ti coated barracuda chuck set and I now would like to start drilling on the lathe. What are the steps that you all use to drill square blanks? What jaws should I use and what tricks should I know to accurately drill. I only see the article dealing with collet chuck drilling, so if I am missing it I am sorry. Whatever help you all can give would be great and greatly appreciated.

This question has been around the forum several times... everyone has their own method/procedure that works for them. I drill all of my blanks square simply because it's faster for me. I have a little CMG3 chuck from PSI that I use that has some different type of jaws... the jaws came with the chuck when I bought it years ago when I first started... I'll show a picture of it below.

Using these jaws, I can pretty much drill any blank on the lathe, even irregular and out of square blanks.... I mark the approximate center of the blank... I just use a line of sight from corner to corner to make an "x" on the end where the drill will start.... I use the brad point drills most of the time and place the point in the center of the "x", hold it in place while I slide the tail stock up to the headstock and align the blank in the jaws of my chuck. Again, I use a line of sight alignment to see if the drill bit will go through the blank in the center or as near the center as possible... I don't usually do a lot of segment blanks, so absolute perfection down the center isn't a factor for me. Once I'm satisfied with the alignment, I tighten the jaws enough to hold the blank in place both horizontally and vertically.. some woods are harder than others and the pressure of the drill bit will cause the blanks to slide into the jaws... you want to be tight enough to prevent that, but not so tight as to compress the wood too much as it can bind the bit or even distort the drilled hole. I also generally leave a little space between the end of the blank and the body of the chuck so I can see when the bit clears the end of the blank.... a number of turners don't go all the way through the blank, but stop short and then cut the last 1/4 inch or so off to prevent chip out when the bit emerges... I'll do that with acrylics sometimes, but often I just allow extra length at the end of the blank in case there is a little chip out... either way works for me.

This is the little chuck I mentioned...

Attachments

• pm 001.JPG
    pm 001.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 155
  • pm 002.JPG
    pm 002.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 147

dontheturner

This question has been around the forum several times... everyone has their own method/procedure that works for them. I drill all of my blanks square simply because it's faster for me. I have a little CMG3 chuck from PSI that I use that has some different type of jaws... the jaws came with the chuck when I bought it years ago when I first started... I'll show a picture of it below.

Using these jaws, I can pretty much drill any blank on the lathe, even irregular and out of square blanks.... I mark the approximate center of the blank... I just use a line of sight from corner to corner to make an "x" on the end where the drill will start.... I use the brad point drills most of the time and place the point in the center of the "x", hold it in place while I slide the tail stock up to the headstock and align the blank in the jaws of my chuck. Again, I use a line of sight alignment to see if the drill bit will go through the blank in the center or as near the center as possible... I don't usually do a lot of segment blanks, so absolute perfection down the center isn't a factor for me. Once I'm satisfied with the alignment, I tighten the jaws enough to hold the blank in place both horizontally and vertically.. some woods are harder than others and the pressure of the drill bit will cause the blanks to slide into the jaws... you want to be tight enough to prevent that, but not so tight as to compress the wood too much as it can bind the bit or even distort the drilled hole. I also generally leave a little space between the end of the blank and the body of the chuck so I can see when the bit clears the end of the blank.... a number of turners don't go all the way through the blank, but stop short and then cut the last 1/4 inch or so off to prevent chip out when the bit emerges... I'll do that with acrylics sometimes, but often I just allow extra length at the end of the blank in case there is a little chip out... either way works for me.

This is the little chuck I mentioned...
Fascinating! I like your explanatory article very much, and would dearly love to follow it - sounds so simple. However, either it is my bad luck, or England is so very different to the US of A,- but unfortunately, why, Oh, why, are ALL my three chucks, only 3 jawed? Don

randyrls

Fascinating! I like your explanatory article very much, and would dearly love to follow it - sounds so simple. However, either it is my bad luck, or England is so very different to the US of A,- but unfortunately, why, Oh, why, are ALL my three chucks, only 3 jawed? Don

Don; Three jaw scroll (centering) chucks are usually adapted from metal working lathes. These are more common in UK land.

4 jaw chucks for metal lathes are usually independent jaw (each jaw can move by itself).

markgum

in the new PSI magazine I just received there is a 'dedicated pen blank drilling chuck. cost is 69.95. part # CSCPENCHK

seawolf

Another nice thing about turning the blank round is being able to see the inside of the blank. Helps to determine just where to cut for the best look.
Mark

rjwolfe3

in the new PSI magazine I just received there is a 'dedicated pen blank drilling chuck. cost is 69.95. part # CSCPENCHK

If you look farther down the page there are dedicated jaws made just for holding square blanks in a scroll chuck for much cheaper price. I still think it's easier to turn round first.:biggrin:

Top Bottom