Drilling shell casings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having trouble holding the casings without scratching the surface. Eventually the bit catches and spins the shell in my vise. I am using a PH Designs vise mounted on my drill press. So far I've used cloth, a mouse pad, rubber vise cover with hole drilled in it, I've also slowed my feed rate and sharpened my bits. Any helpful hints?

Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

You bet! I used two pices of Alaskan Birch, (have plenty) with a "V" Notch in each piece. This is used to hold the shell for drilling. Just clamp it together in a vise. The end of the shell is Very Hard. You must use a Very sharp Bit. You could two step the drilling. This will allow for more control. Once you have the hole drilled and tube in place, then you can clean up the shell on the mandel. I used 400 grit wet/dry and MAAS Metal Polish. Buffs right out.

200511226334_3rd%20Rifle%20Cartridge%20Pen%20007.jpg
<br />

alamocdc

I also use two pieces of v-notched wood. No problems thus far. Just take it slow and easy, especially when breaking through. That's probably where you're picking up the catches.

knottyharry

Hi Brian,
Try drilling a smaller hole..about half the size, then come back with your finish bit.
There are also come other good suggestions here.
I don't know what size of a bit you are using...I am pretty much using a letter J drill bit (finish size) now for my stuff.
Harry

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Acolleet chuck on the lathe will insure a centered hole and is the easiest way to do it.
I did my first with this one.It works but I won't give up my Beall collet.
http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articles/AllWoodColletChuck/AllWoodColletChuck.htm

gerryr

I drill on my lathe and the first ones I did I used a crappy little 3 jaw chuck from PSI. Every one of them spun somewhat in the chuck. I tried my Nova chuck and not one of them has spun in it and it doesn't leave marks on the casing.

Fleabit

I still have some slipping when I drill out the casings. I solved this by putting a wrap of 400 grit sandpaper around the casing. If it still slips, I just lightly sand it with 400 as the finishing touch and end up with a bright shiny casing.

Rifleman1776

You can also go to your local gun shop and ask to buy a shell holder for the specific caliber you are making pens from. Some come with a locking screw on the bottom (Lee brand). Some holders will accomodate a variety of calibers. e.g. 30-06, .308, .270 and others all use the same holder. The holder can be secured in a drill press vice or your lathe chuck or other methods you might think up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom