DRILLING BLANKS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnstun

just got a nova pen chuck. how do I stop the chip out on the end of the hole. on a drill press, I would put a backer board under the blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Go slow, both in lathe speed and advancing the bit, sharp bits too. Back out every 1/4" or so. It has been debated recently whether or not to hold the Jacobs chuck with your left hand or tap it in to secure, I hold mine.

One other tip that I like is to drill into the middle side of the blank since that is the most likely grain you are going to align if a two section pen. If a blowout does occur hopefully it is small and the blank can still be used and the grain align. Hope that makes since.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
James, I use a nova g3 chuck with Pen plus jaws. I dont have a problem with chip out on wood blanks and very little with acrylic.

Jim Burr

Banned
Having covered this dozens of times...NEVER drill out the back side of a blank. Cut long, mark the bit to the proper depth, drill to that depth and cut off the leftover.

DLGunn

I have the Nova pen jaws on my chuck. The only problem with any chip out on the end of the blank has been when I go too fast. Go slow, very slow when you know you are getting close to the end. Also you can cut the blank a little long then cut off the excess after drilling, cutting off any chip out.

Fay Prozora

I have the barracuda 2 chucking system for my lathe and I use one of the sets of jaws to hold the blank and then use a drill chuck for t he tail stock and I go slow and pull back out every so often Mine doesn't drill all the way though so what I do is put the drill bit in and then move the tail stock a little closer and then continue drilling but real slow. So far it has worked well for me....When I used my drill press it too didn't drill all the way through so I used a hand drill to finish the work and then I got those pesky chip outs... Not to mention the holes were not on target on the other end of the pen blank. I just love my lathe for drilling... Fay

Old Codger

I have a Nova Chuck and Nova Pen Jaws and drill approx. half way through the blank, then take out the blank and reverse it in the jaws and drill the remaining half through the blank. I've never had a problem using this method as it eliminates chip out. As other's have mentioned, drill slowly and back out often to clear the chips and I'm sure you'll solve the problems you've mentioned. Safe turning to you!

flyitfast

Since it hasn't been mentioned -- before drilling, use a starter bit to position the hole. It won't help the chipout, but it will help to keep the drill bit from wandering when you start to drill and help to keep it straight throughout the blank which might reduce the chipout. A five piece starter drill bit set is $6-6 at Harbor Freight.
All the other things that others have said are also good advice.
gordon

Last edited:

its_virgil

Chipout is not caused by the type of chuck used. The best solutions (my opinion) were given by Jim and Woodkiller. I use Jim's suggestion if I know a particular material will cause problems.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 4 using Forum Runner

Paul in OKC

I don't drill on the lathe, but it may help to snug the lock on the tail stock just a tad towards the end. This can help it not 'suck' through the bottom and bite as the bit breaks through.

Top Bottom