Drilling antler on a lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last few years I have drilled antler many different ways, some not so safe. This is how I do it now, a safe and easy way. Watch the video on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEEaF8z2jM

Attachments

• Bullit Pen.jpg
    Bullit Pen.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 203
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rb765

Thanks for sharing that. I have some antler that are waiting on some kits...I might have to try your technique.

Chasper

You got my attention. That looks like it will work every time.
I've turned them round, put the round piece in a collet chuck and the bit in a jacobs on the tail stock. It works but I feel that it makes it difficult to save the bark. I've been using a drill press vice and lots of shims for the last several hundred I've drilled.
I'm pretty sure you just taught me something that will be very useful and time saving.
Thanks

jskeen

That is very interesting. I've been one of the "turn it round, chuck it and drill from the tailend" crowd for quite a while, and this looks like it will be quicker. I just wonder if it will be as sure on thinner curved pieces. I'll definitely be practicing and will let everybody know.

pssherman

Great technique. This would be useful with wood (and other) blanks that are not quite square and straight. You could probably even drill at an angle through a pen blank to take advantage figure of color that is one-sided.

Last edited:

StatProf

I've got a ton of deer and elk sitting on my desk that I haven't touched because I couldn't find a good method for drilling. This will do it! THANKS!

StatProf

Chasper

It works! I tried it last night and it worked great. Shapes like these are what I've been having trouble with. I could turn them round and put them in a collet or Nova chuck to drill on the lathe, but I would either lose the bark or there would not be enough round area to grip with the chuck. Clamping them in a drill press vise with lots of shims works, but it is partly guess work, and sometimes I guess wrong. This is a clean, simple and brilliant solution, thanks.

Attachments

• Curved Antler.jpg
    Curved Antler.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
That actually works!! It's a lot safer than the way I've been doing it for the last several years, probably would have saved me some nice antler too.

Top Bottom