Drilling and turning deer antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

khallpens

I have been given a deer antler to make pen with. I only have a lathe to drill with and also have a 4 jaw chuck. To cut the antler I will be using a hand saw. My lathe is a jet 1410 and would like to know were to set the speed?

Thanks

Keith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
I just drilled and turned a Sierra with it today. Due to other factors...I drilled at 150. Hard as a rock and smells like burned fingernail. Does finish beautifully!

Chasper

I've drilled hundreds of pieces of antler on the lathe and never turned it round first. Drill pilot holes where you want the bit to enter and exit, put the bit in the headstock and set it at the slowest speed your lathe will turn, align the entry pilot hole with the bit and the exit hole with the live center on the tail stock, hold the antler with a pliers and use the tail stock crank to push it into the bit. Be careful not to drill into your tail stock point.

woodwzrd

I've been told that you need to let fresh kill deer antler dry for a period of time. How long do you let them dry?

Because antler was live at one time you do need to let it dry. I was told by a deer farmer that I got a bunch of antler from that if you let it dry for 4-6 months there should be absolutely no problems if you are turning it. It is just like wood the thicker it is the longer it will take to dry.

When I turn my antler I hit the end of the blank that will go into the chuck with the belt sander to make it a little closer to round (that is the part that stunks). Then I chuck it in my 4 jaw and drill as slow as my lathe will go (I think 320 rpm). Whe I turn it I spin it wide open. I sand it at about 500. Antler will take a nice polish all on its own with no finish but I like to seal mine up with a few coats of CA a little wet sanding and a trip to the buffer and your good to go.

mson

There is a good video on U Tube that shows how to drill antler between centers. I don't have access to utube here but if you do a search on utube you could find it.

sbell111

Before you drill or turn the antler, make sure that your dust collection system is sorted out. Breathing in antler dust can significantly screw up your health forever.

Tim'sTurnings

Check this out. I think this is monty from the IAP site. I had a terrible time drilling antler until I watched this video. Now I drill them just because I can. This is the quickest easiest and you don't need anything special. Good luck.
Drill2 - YouTube

Haven't messed up an antler piece since I've seen this video

WT

I use this method and have had very good luck with drilling the antler. I line up the tube on top of the antler to line it up so I can drill with part of the outside of the anter showing. They sell better for me when part of the natural outside shows on the finished pen.

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
Check this out. I think this is monty from the IAP site. I had a terrible time drilling antler until I watched this video. Now I drill them just because I can. This is the quickest easiest and you don't need anything special. Good luck.
Drill2 - YouTube

Well I think this method can be used to drill anything, right?

I have used it with acrylic and wood but it didn't work as well for me. Antler I haven't missed yet and thats a great thing.

panamag8or

Drill2 - YouTube

Well I think this method can be used to drill anything, right?

I have used it with acrylic and wood but it didn't work as well for me. Antler I haven't missed yet and thats a great thing.

I just drilled my first two pieces of antler using this method, and it worked perfectly... except for me drilling the wrong size. :redface: So, it looks like Mesas instead of Bullets for these blanks.

RosezPenZ

Let the antler dry several months. I made the mistake of making a nice cigar pen from antlers I cut off a summer time killed deer. A few months later it cracked in several locations. I dont know a certain time but I'm waiting at least 12 months next time. I turn btc at around 1000 rpm.

PaulDoug

Drill2 - YouTube

This is the method I use also. I like it because it is easier to control where the hole is going, making it easier to drill so you can save some "bark" to show. I always cut the antler about 1/2" longer than I need to ensure I don't hit the drill bit.

Top Bottom