Drilled wrong size hole...is there a kit to match my mistake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RunnerVince

I apparently turned my brain off and forgot to switch from a 12.5 mm bit for the cap of an Atrax pen to a 10.5 mm bit for the body, so I have a body and cap both drilled with 12.5 mm holes. Anyone know of a kit that uses 12.5 mm for both the body and cap? It's a cheap blank to replace if not, but I'm always on the lookout for cool kits, so I thought I'd ask.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

A quick scan of the bushings PDF shows the Apollo Infinity along with LED Stylus and chalk holder project (both as a single body 12.5mm)

But it's not just the diameter, but the length that may be an issue for you.

RunnerVince

A quick scan of the bushings PDF shows the Apollo Infinity along with LED Stylus and chalk holder project (both as a single body 12.5mm)

But it's not just the diameter, but the length that may be an issue for you.
Thank you. Looks like the Apollo Infinity uses a 9/16" bit for the upper body, but since that's larger than 12.5mm, that could work. The instructions for the kit have the tube lengths, so I'll check that when I get out to my shop and see if the kit itself is tolerant of any dimension changes.

hewunch

Been there, done that. After about the second time, i made a point to always drill the smaller diameter first. That way, when (not IF) i forget to change bits, i'm still okay. Haven't done it since!!
Good point! Also, since the caps are usually shorter than bodies, if you have a blowout while drilling you can sometimes save the blank.

RunnerVince

Perhaps a dumb question but why don't you trim it to cap length and make 2 barrels with a different blank, either similar or different?
I did think about that, and I may look at it again. The other day I didn't have it in me to even think about it. The blank is neither expensive nor rare (red palm), so I may just take the lesson from @greenacres2 and say I got my money's worth from the advice. I'm trying to get ready for a show, so right now I don't want to spend a lot of time fussing over fixing a mistake when I could spend the same time just making another project.

Top Bottom