Drill Straight with a hand drill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

This is more of a woodworking question than a pen making question.
Every once in a while, but often enough, I need to make sure I am drilling relatively perfectly straight - horizontal and vertically (much like setting a fence post). I plan to conduct an Internet search, but I was wondering if any found a hand drill attachment that informs you when you are drilling plumb.

This is not for something I want to do on a drill press.

Thanks for reading and suggesting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Tony

The other day I was freehand-threading a hole (ie, I didn't use a drill press or lathe to assure that the tap was centered). The approach I took was to use a small machinist's square to check that the tap was square to the stock on two axes. In my case, the tap I was using was longer than the small square I had, so the method worked.

Not a perfect solution, but when there are no other obvious options - - -

wouldentu2?

Take two 1/2" or 3/4" pieces of wood glued together to form an " L " which you put next to the hole you want to drill. If the drill is rubbing against the " L " as you drill it, then the drill is perpendicular to the board.

KenV

Tony they range from levels that stick on the drill to clamp on drill guides that hold the drill body and work similarly to a plunge router - The usual vendors (Amazon, Hartville, WoodCraft and others) sell a wide array depending on the application and amount of space you have.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-452...F8&qid=1410101538&sr=8-1&keywords=drill+guide

On the lathe -- OneWay sells a Drill Wizard that allows you to drill items on the lathe consistently.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/110/1479/Oneway-Drill-Wizard

Last edited:

carlmorrell

I have an attachment for a hand drill. You take off the chuck, and place a bracket between the drill and the chuck. The bracket slides over a pair of posts, which attach to a square base. It is effectively a hand drill - drill press.

Tony;
At the big box stores, pick up two very small level vials. They are really cheap. Epoxy them to your hand drill on two flat perpendicular surfaces. Watch them while you use your drill and you should do alright. Make sure whatever you are drilling is also plumb and level!

frank123

If you're drilling on a flat surface, just take an appropriately sized metal bar (maybe an inch or an inch and a half square) and use a drill press to drill a hole through it the size of the drill bit you are using and drill away using it as a guide.

If on a curved surface, a bit more complicated to make -but not difficult- since you need a groove or channel in the back side to center it. Also a bit more complicated if you're using a wood bit since you need two holes, one the size of the bit shaft and one the size and length -or larger to accommodate multiple sizes- of the bit head (you put this on the bit before putting the bit in the drill).

Easy to make tap guides this way as well to insure straight alignment when tapping. Drill two holes side by side, on for the drill bit and one the size of the tap (which would be slightly larger than the drill size).

SteveG

Attach your drill bit to a drill press. :eek:...works of me, YMMV.

Sorry, It is still early in Hawaii, the sleep has barely left my eyes and I cannot be held responsible for anything I say. :cool:

TonyL

The level vials may be a good option. I don't have the width to rest any type of platform on top of. Thanks for the ideas though!

wyone

I actually like Frank's idea a lot. I think it would be very effective. I also have one of the devices that was suggested to mount on a drill. It works very well and you can actually extend the bars through the base and it will be self centering on thinner wood

Cmiles1985

My old "cheap" Craftsman cordless electric drill had a bubble level on the back that served well for drilling downwards. My much more expensive Makita has nothing of the sorts!! I like some of the ideas that have been shared here, and I may be borrowing one or some.

Scotty

Drill a hole of the same size you want through a scrap piece of 2 x 4. Put the hole over what you want to drill and use the 2 x 4 as a guide. Not perfect, but good enough for me most of the time.

dogcatcher

Tony they range from levels that stick on the drill to clamp on drill guides that hold the drill body and work similarly to a plunge router - The usual vendors (Amazon, Hartville, WoodCraft and others) sell a wide array depending on the application and amount of space you have.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-452...F8&qid=1410101538&sr=8-1&keywords=drill+guide

On the lathe -- OneWay sells a Drill Wizard that allows you to drill items on the lathe consistently.

Oneway Drill Wizard | Shop Supplies | Craft Supplies USA

I have a rig like the one from Amazon, it has worked for me for over 40 years. Mine is a little sturdier and I can drill 90 degree holes all day long or change to drill at 45 degrees or any degree with just an adjustment. I was using it to make "Kreg" holes before I ever heard of Kreg systems.

Top Bottom