Drill press stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Does anyone have one of these?
I saw this at a yard sale a few weeks ago and he had 50 cents on it. I gave him a dollar....but maybe I got took?:eek:
I cleaned it up a bit and it seems to work OK.
What I cannot figure out is the ability to mount the head horizontal, like in the 2nd picture. Could this be for some kind of horizontal boring?

Attachments

• DP1.jpg
    DP1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 362
  • DP2.jpg
    DP2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Dale;
I had one of those many years ago, before battery powered drills! You can mount the head with your drill in it horizontally for buffing, wire brushing, grinding... I guess if you bolt it down, you might be able to use it to bore horizontally, like into work on the lathe. As cheap looking as they are, they do work well as a small drill press.

Dale Allen

Thanks Mark.
I have a drill press but it is a cheap one and the spindle always wobbles.
I'm hoping to set this up to drill some holes into the edge of a wooden ring.

ironman123

I have one of those I bought and used with a 1/2" drill (also Craftsman 545RPM) as a drill press for 2 maybe 3 years before I bought my first drill press..talk about decades ago.

Still have both in my garage...somewhere.

Pjohnson

I have one and use it as an arbor press to assemble my pens.

Before I had a drill press I used it quite a bit to make doll furniture for my girls.
It has its uses. I don't think I would use it for pen blanks. My opinion is that using the lathe would be easier and more accurate.

Last edited:

sbell111

I have had a cheaper version of that kicking around our shop for several years now unused as I picked it up just before being gifted a bench mounted drill press. That little drill press has since been replaced by our big Delta.

We came across that old stand a couple weeks ago when sorting out the shop so we can put our house on the market. The stand was relegated to a 'moving sale' box. I'm on the fence regarding the small drill press. It will either go to the moving sale or be turned into a sanding station until I buy a spindle sander.

Top Bottom