Drill Press Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

The chuck in my Jet floor model drill press keeps falling out as I'm drilling. :mad:

I've cleaned the taper and head and even whacked the chuck into place. It will fall out after just 2 or 3 holes.

Any suggestions on what else to try? :confused:

Thanks

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
wow .. that's a new one on me. If the taper is clean, I'm not sure why it wouldn't
stay in .. unless there's still something up inside there stopping you from getting
a good fit. If I were having the problem, I'd probably use a morse taper reamer,
clean the taper well .. maybe with DNA. I'd use a piece of hard wood on the table.
Make sure everything is level, perpendicular, square .. you name it. Then crank
up the table and bring the chuck down onto the wood. If everything is square, it
should seat the taper correctly.. but it's just a guess.

KenV

Rick -- That connection should fail before something more dramatic and costly. Had a bad jam or similar??? -- Why is it loose the 1st time is the missing info.

A jam can result in gall or burrs developing for example. Either the taper or the chuck can be distorted on a bad jam.

If you took it off, did you back off the threaded fitting or wedge use to pop it free??

None of the above -- double check the clean, examine the surfaces with magnification, feel the fit.

beck3906

I did have a bad jam a few months ago and ordered a new taper for the chuck to ensure it was okay. I was using a large drill bit and it grabbed the board and spun it until the board stopped against the column of the drill press.

I used a wood block to wedge the chuck off and then installed the new chuck.

Could the head itself be bad and not holding the chuck taper correctly?

Top Bottom