Drill bit size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Camardelle

Thinking of trying a Gatsby pen. Kit calls for a 27/64" drill which Rockler sells but it's not one with the point on it (brad point?). What size metric should I use. My calculations call it bigger than a 10mil and smaller than an 11mil. Should I go with the 10 and use some persuasion to get the tube into the blank?

Any advice is welcomed before I spend any money. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Thinking of trying a Gatsby pen. Kit calls for a 27/64" drill which Rockler sells but it's not one with the point on it (brad point?). What size metric should I use. My calculations call it bigger than a 10mil and smaller than an 11mil. Should I go with the 10 and use some persuasion to get the tube into the blank?

Any advice is welcomed before I spend any money. Thanks!

Why do you want a brad point? In my experience, they should be avoided. Invest a few dollars in a Center Drill set (cheap on Amazon), use that, then drill with a conventional pointed drill. Much less chance of "interesting" things happening to you blank. Just MHO.

Regards,
Michael

KenV

My bradpoints last until they get dullish and the sharpening makes them into 135 degree split point bits. I will purchase bradpoints for flatwork where i want a hole with trim edges.

A 10.9mm bit will work, but they are not common in brad points.

A sharp standard bit with a starting point/hole works just fine for pen blanks.

Camardelle

Pretty new to this and the only pens I've done have been cigar pens which I've used a brad point bit for. I'm not sure what kind of bit comes with the kit I just bought but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.

eharri446

I do the Gatsby, Wall Street II, and even have some Zodiac which all take a 27/64. I also do not use brad points because they tend to wander when drilling. I would get a set of regular drill bits in the 1/64 to 1/2 by 1/64 inch. That will give you most everything that you need unless the kit you are making calls for a metric size.

MTViper

Camardelle,

You and I are probably the only 2 people in Texas with metric drill bits. To save yourself some problems, just get a 27/64 drill bit. If it's a brad point, use it until it dulls and use a Drill Doctor to sharpen it and get rid of the brad point. I use brad point bits all the time in all types of wood and acrylic and have had no problem with them wandering since I started drilling on the lathe. Slow down the speed to below 400 rpm and slowly advance the quill. Clear the bit often.

Steve

magpens

Here's the drill size reference that I use:

Drill Size Conversion Table

You'll find that a 10mm bit is way too small ... don't even try it.

You don't need brad point. . Go with the normal 27/64" twist drill ... you'll get lots of use out of it. . (an 11mm drill is a bit too big. 10.5mm might be just a shade tight on the brass tube but I have used it ... it's ok for acrylic, but wood tends to expand when you drill and shrink back down after you finish drilling)

Last edited:

Quality Pen

Pretty new to this and the only pens I've done have been cigar pens which I've used a brad point bit for. I'm not sure what kind of bit comes with the kit I just bought but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated.
If you're just starting out I would say start looking into a drill doctor. It was tricky for me to learn and I'm no expert, but I will tell you when a bit gets dull it is no fun!

Some folks just buy bits since it's faster and easier... but either way if you're using a specific bit a lot then they get dull surprisingly fast.

Camardelle

You may be right. I'm looking forward to trying a new pen style. I bought a standard pen mill kit but I don't think there's a 27/64" bore. Not sure what to do there. I figure using the lathe will be my best bet.

Quality Pen

You may be right. I'm looking forward to trying a new pen style. I bought a standard pen mill kit but I don't think there's a 27/64" bore. Not sure what to do there. I figure using the lathe will be my best bet.
Those pen mills come in a lot of sizes but not in 1 nice set that's easy to find. Regardless, they are harder to use than the lathe methods anyways. I find the latter more precise as well!

Quality Pen

Mount sandpaper to your headstock and hold your blanks on punch rods in your tailstock. There are some specialty items for this, but it's as simple as you want it to be.

qquake

I use a 27/64" brad point drill bit that that I got from Woodturningz. I prefer brad points, in spite of the bad opinions of them. They work well for me. Woodturningz also has a carbide version which would probably last longer, but I haven't tried one.

27/64" Drill Bit - WoodTurningz

27/64" Carbide Tip Drill Bit - WoodTurningz

Woodcraft also has one.

Buy WoodRiver Pen Makers Bit 27/64 Inch at Woodcraft.com

As for a barrel trimmer, I use a piloted end mill with a brass sleeve I made. Woodturningz has a 27/64 pilot for a barrel trimmer, and PSI has a sleeve that you put on a 7mm trimmer pilot.

Barrel Trimmer - Shaft only - 27/64" - WoodTurningz

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKGABTS.html

Attachments

• drill01.JPG
    drill01.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 170
  • drill02.JPG
    drill02.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 204
  • drill03.JPG
    drill03.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 156
  • trim01.JPG
    trim01.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 177
  • trim02.JPG
    trim02.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 185

Camardelle

Mount sandpaper to your headstock and hold your blanks on punch rods in your tailstock. There are some specialty items for this, but it's as simple as you want it to be.

Thank you for that. Looks like a trip for punch rods are in order. Could I trouble you for a pic of your sanding setup, or anyone else's for that matter.

I really think the sanding setup may be the way to go. I'll already have the lathe set for drilling so it'll likely be a short transition.

Camardelle

I've found several vids on YouTube showing how this is done. How did we ever survive before YouTube? I remember, we read books.

Thanks for everyone's help here with this. I've learned a lot and think I have a new direction with my pen making. You guys rock! Thank you again.

TonyL

how about a 10.5 mm as used for Jr Gents and some inside barrel sanding to fit?

zig613

Thank you for that. Looks like a trip for punch rods are in order. Could I trouble you for a pic of your sanding setup, or anyone else's for that matter.

I really think the sanding setup may be the way to go. I'll already have the lathe set for drilling so it'll likely be a short transition.

Here is the set I use to trim the ends of the blank. Here is a link to a previous thread (post #11) Trimming Blanks that has a couple of photos of a jig I made for my sander to square the ends of blanks.

Wade

Top Bottom