Dowell making tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouLeggett

Do any of you have experience turning pen blanks using a dowell making tool. My purpose would be to more quickly and efficiently remove square edges and excess material leaving a round blank slightly larger than my shaping starting point.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

My experience starting with stock that is round and close to the (almost finished) pen size is the need for dead center drilling parallel to the dowel's surface or your prep time is wasted. Seems to me that you could round a square blank quicker than making the dowels. Ever used a skew for rough turning? Give it a try...faster than a roughing gouge and IMHO easier. I'm sure others will disagree and still others may agree with me. Why not use your doweling machine and give'er a go and report back to us what you find out.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by LouLeggett
<br />Do any of you have experience turning pen blanks using a dowell making tool. My purpose would be to more quickly and efficiently remove square edges and excess material leaving a round blank slightly larger than my shaping starting point.

low_48

Lou,
If you wanted to get the blank rounded before drilling and turning, I would not buy any specialty dowel making equipment. I make 3/4 dowels to start my Christmas ornaments on my router table. I use a 3/8 roundover bit and make 4 passes on 3/4 square stock. To keep the stock from rolling on the last cut, I don't roundover the first and last inch on the stick. That leaves a square to register on the fence and the table. I have to keep checking mine for tolerance, but for you just make them close.

Randy_

Since I have no idea what kind of dowel making tool you are talking about, there is no way to know how much of a time saving, if any, there might be. Knocking the corners off a pen blank with a skew is a quick process. I'm not sure any time savings would be worthwhile unless you are in production and doing hundreds or thousands of blanks at one time.

its_virgil

Learning to use the skew chisel takes a little practice.I stopped by a home construction site and picked up several short 2x4's from the trash pile. I took them home and ripped them in half, mounted them between centers and started practicing. The skew is not as difficult to master as we are lead to believe and it is a wonderful tool to use. I start sanding at 320 and turn all pens using the skew...from start to finish. There are several excellent videos available and lots of info online. Move the skew to the top of your "want to do" turning list...you'll be glad you mastered that one tool.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by LouisQC
<br />I need to master that skew chisel... I can't do anything with it...

jnelson

The skew is on my list.

I make my entire pen with the 1" roughing gouge and then sand starting at 140-400, then MM 1500-12000.

May not be the most efficient, but it works.

Brad

Rifleman1776

From the variety of responses, you can see that it is an 'each to his own' regarding techniques. What works for you is best. Randy's post summed things up very well. Personally, I am always puzzle and amused when folks start looking for ways to avoid using a lathe when the project is lathe orientated. e.g. making round things. A lathe is quick and efficient. If you want to make dowels, that's different than making pens. BTW, I have tried making dowels, it isn't easy. I sold an antique dowel making machine. It worked but was labor intensive. I still have several hand cutting devices for dowel making. But, when I need dowels, of any size, I find myself going to the lumber yard to buy them. FWIW, I knock off corners with a 1/2" spindle gouge then skew to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom