Double Dyed Maple Burl Emperor FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mjnicholson

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjnicholson

Long time lurker/learner; first time picture poster. I decided to try to adapt the double-dyeing approach discussed in the latest Fine Woodworking magazine for flat work. The pen is resting on the piece that I cut it from. The color and figure is stunning.

This pen is a gift for a friend/client who enjoys fountain pens.

Mark

20071225171424_Pen1.jpg

20071225171437_Pen2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mjnicholson

Thanks for all of the very kind comments. Sorry for the delay in responding; we were off to my parents for Christmas and my father's 82nd birthday (the 26th).

I used Lee Valley analine dye. I decided to try a version of the approach described for flat work in the most recent Fine Woodworking magazine. I turned the blanks pretty much to size and sanded to 220. I then dipped the blanks in dark walnut dye, and left them to dry (approx. 12 hours). I then sanded the blanks back so that I could see the natural color of the wood (the dye remained in various burls and quilts). Then I dipped the blanks in ruby red dye and repeated the process. Then I completed sanding, wet sanding through 2500 with Tried and True Danish Oil. Finally, I finished with CA.

By dipping, I mean just that. I made up a batch of each dye in a dixie cup, following the directions provided with the dye. I then screwed a paper towel through the brass tube, and lowered the blank into the cup. Worked like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom