Double Cross Examples

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmpartain

Some folks here told me about the Diablo table saw blade. Kerf thickness is much thinner than a thin kerf 10 inch blade.

2006918204916_Churchill.jpg

Image Insert:
20067614712_dbl%20crs.jpg

The top pen is done with the Diablo balde. You can see the cross material is much thinner than in the pen below.

Just thought some may be interested.

The top pen is a Churchill with big leaf maple burl with some kind of bark inclusion. The cross is cocobolo.

The bottom pen is El Grande with Walnut. The cross is poplar.

I'm still working on getting perfect symetry of the cross. I made a table saw sled and am being very careful about the thickness of the cross material. I suspect I'm having problems in glue up. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pmpartain

I think the wood on the Churchill makes the pen. I had a six inch cube of the maple burl. I was going to try my luck at a bowl, but I saw the one corner with this bark inclusion in it and could not resist making a pen out of it. There is actually a vein of some kind of gold stuff running through the top edge of the bark in the photo. I don't know what it is. Maybe some dried up sap or something. Most people think it is the brass tube showing, but it is not. The Churchill is finished using the CA/BLO method on Russ's DVD. It was my second try at that finish. The lower pen is finished with Enduro. I like Enduro, but always seem to sand through the topcoat. I just can't seem to get the feel for how much of that stuff I'm putting on the pen. I'm going to practice some more and I'll get it. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumbs

I have to say that while I'm not usually real keen on "cut and patch" stuff; that Churchill is a pretty piece of work![:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom