Double closed end Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

razor524

My dad asked me make him a baseball bat pen. I want to make it a double closed end pen that shows no metal, all wood. I will buy the closed end mandrels or pin chucks, I do not have the taps (or the skills) to make my own threads. What "kit" do you recommend I use as a starting point for the threads, tubes, etc.? I want it to be a pretty fat pen. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I would use a baron or a similar kit. The metal that shows on the center band can be eleminated so no metal will show. I make a gavel with a pen encorporated in the handle with no metal showing and I use the baron kit. It is a double closed end pen. So, the two pieces can be shaped like a baseball bat instead of a gavel handle.

I also make baseball bat pens from slimlines but the metal writint tip is exposed.

I also make bouble closed end pens from the Penache kit with no metal showning. I think there may be pictures on my website. There is a link in my signature. I will be glad to tell you more if interested.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I can post pictures in this thread or send them to you if you want. I don';t want to hijack your thread with my pen pictures.

IPD_Mr

I think the Panache would be an excellent choice, especially if you are wanting a fatter pen. The Baron is a little slender for my taste. Don gave you an excellent option.

razor524

Thanks guys for your response. Don I would love to see the pictures and would appreciate any info that you can give me. Don't worry about hijacking this thread, I am happy for the help!!

its_virgil

I tried to write the last. Message while in the car...no not driving. How'd I do? Not too good!

The part of the CB, on the baron and others,that is exposed can be removed in several ways. It can be ground off or hthe CB can be held in a chuck (collet chuck is what I use) and removed with a parting tool. Or, as you mentioned, a shallow hole can be counter bored so the whole CB can be hidden inside the blank...recess the part that normally shows. I do both and they both work well.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom