Don't you wish you could turn pens at your job?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

Well I can. Technically school is not a job, but you get the point. Last semester i brought my pens to show my teacher. He then was asking me all these questions about making pens. He bought a jet var speed mini lathe. I also made him a list of everything to get. So i have his class again, and i can just make pens for the whole period(1.5 hrs). So I have only made a couple so in his class. But here is some of the ones I have done lately. (class and at home). First is a blue acrylic from woodnwhimsies. I thought it was lame when i bought it a while ago, but i think it turned out rather cool.It is a atrax fountain. Second is a purple and blue blank from woodcraft. It was reverse painted blue, the blue paint was dark so it turned the blank more a darker blue than it originally was. But it still turned out good. It is on a long click chrome kit. 3rd i thought was appropriate for valentines day. It is a pink blank reverse painted white. I didnt have any pink testors paint. So this one turned out very light pink. It has a dot of red in it at the bottom, that was then mixed around with some white paint. This made a pinker part at the bottom. and i thionk it added some character to the blank. The 4th is a long click. I casted this using white, blue and orange. It is pretty swirly but not as good as i would like to have it. But it still turned out fine. The 5th is a turquoise veined marble acrylic blank. On a atrax Chrome rollerball kit. I made this in class yesterday and took my time, mainly because i had alot of time to kill. I think it turned out really good. These blanks dont show very many scratches, which i like. One reason i am not the fastest to go buy black blanks. Hope you like em. =]

Attachments

• 100_6535.jpg
    100_6535.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_6536.jpg
    100_6536.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_6538.jpg
    100_6538.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_6540.jpg
    100_6540.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_6543.jpg
    100_6543.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cherie

Those turned out great! I have never painted tubes before and am kinda scared to cause I heard that some of the glues eat the paints away. Isn't the original hole that is drilled smaller than the tube after painting it??

crabcreekind

Those turned out great! I have never painted tubes before and am kinda scared to cause I heard that some of the glues eat the paints away. Isn't the original hole that is drilled smaller than the tube after painting it??

Yes it is. You have to paint thin.

OOPS

Hi James, good to see you're keeping busy! First, I would really like to hear your thoughts on the Atrax kits. I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet, but they almost look as if they're kind of heavy. Are they?

Second, that's the first time I have seen acrylic blanks on long click pens, and they look terrific. I like all three of them, although the Woodcraft blank is extra cool. I think the Valentine pen will be the favorite for many ladies. I have never been that interested in long click pens, but after seeing yours in acrylic, I am now "reassessing my opinion." Thanks for posting these. I am hoping for better weather so that we might get to see these at the next meeting.

crabcreekind

Hi James, good to see you're keeping busy! First, I would really like to hear your thoughts on the Atrax kits. I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet, but they almost look as if they're kind of heavy. Are they?

Second, that's the first time I have seen acrylic blanks on long click pens, and they look terrific. I like all three of them, although the Woodcraft blank is extra cool. I think the Valentine pen will be the favorite for many ladies. I have never been that interested in long click pens, but after seeing yours in acrylic, I am now "reassessing my opinion." Thanks for posting these. I am hoping for better weather so that we might get to see these at the next meeting.

OK well here is my opinion on these kits. They show off the blank very nicely. But they have some issues, you have to be perfectly on center. If you do not make it perfect, you will be able to feel the burr of the edge of the underturned or overturned nib of blank when you use the pen. they also have a heavy click, it is very reliable, but some people may not like it due to the hard to click aspect of it. Other than that they are very good kits for around 8-9 bucks

Wingdoctor

Cherie, I use Krylon Fusion spray paint, Wal-Mart, to paint the blank tube hole. This becomes a part of the acrylic and does not seem to add any thickness. I glue with 5 minute epoxy and I do not have any problem with the glue attacking the painted hole. Do let the paint dry overnight in a warm room before gluing in the tubes.

I have limited myself to white and black paint choices and just hold the driled blank in an old pair of pliers over a trash can and spray the Fusion paint down the hole from one end. I then turn the blank around to look in the other end to verify that I coated all of the hole. If I missed a spot simply shoot some paint in to cover the missed spot. I "snap" the blank quickly with my hand in a downward direction to flick any excess paint into the trash can. I then lay the blank horizontally on a piece of paper to cure. The next day, check to verify that the tube will drop through the hole and proceed with the epoxy tube gluing. I drill slimlines with a "J" size drill bit instead of a 7mm as it seems to be a better fit. I got the suggestion to use this for slimlines from Berea Hardwood.

Top Bottom