dont see firewood the same anymore.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherjunkie

So there I was with dad cutting firewood in the woods last weekend.
I kept looking at each piece of the cut off log deciding if it would work for turning or just firewood. the trees were pine, maple and fir.

by the time dad said enoughs enough we need wood to burn, i picked out 1/2 a truckload of just woodturning stock:D[}:)]:D.

dad finaly got what he wanted so many years ago. he wanted me to get interested in something other than watching that D@#$% tv all day!
internet wasn't invented yet when i was a youngen.

Now that i have been turning wood for a few years off and on i have been seeing firewood in a different way. I tend to see the hidden beauty in the wood more than seeing firewood.

the old saying comes to my mind dad "be carefull what you wish for":D [}:)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mewell

Leon - I hear you. Barely a day goes by that we don't pass some logs, downed trees, or a pile of branches that the LOML and I don't turn to each other and say "How many pens would THAT make?"

Dario

Good thing we don't need firewood here in Texas (well maybe 5 days a year we do) or else I will freeze to death. Can't burn those wood! [:D]

JimGo

Shortly after I started turning, I moved from an apartment in a "city-like" setting to a townhouse in a more rural area (it'a all relative - we have a 15'x25' "back yard", and neighbors homes attached on either side). We back onto a wooded walking trail, and my soon-to-be 18 month old son loves to go for walks every night. Our community's policy is that dead and fallen trees are chopped into manageable pieces, but left where they grew/fell, except to the extent that they're blocking a road or walkway. This means that we have a LOT of downed trees all around me. I only have a 9" bandsaw, with a 3" resaw capacity, so I've spent the last 2 years or so just walk along, thinking about what I could do with the various pieces I see lying around. And I know EXACTLY what you mean - I can't help but notice the crotch pieces, or pieces that look like they might have curl, etc. But, unfortunately, I couldn't do anything with/to them. That is, until this past weekend...I just got an electric chain saw for Father's day! It's one of those that runs on a replaceable battery pack, and I have 2 or 3 batteries from previous gift-giving occasions. I think I'm going to have to start keeping those batteries charged, dig out a hockey mask and some tinted eye protection, and go for a walk along our trail. Granted, the hockey mask and chain saw might scare a few people, but hey, I gotta protect my face, right? [:D]

oooooooooooooooo an electric chain saw??? And I think Mike told me those didn't exist!!!!! AND with rechargable batteries????? Oh boy. May I ask how much that thing cost??? I keep telling Mike I'd stop off on the side of the road ALL the time, if I had something like that! He just laughed and said there wasnt enough extension cords around for the places I go to LOLOL

eastbay

New to the forum here. But we have a local restraunt that cooks there food over a mesquite wood fire. Every time I go I have to look at the pile of wood because mesquite is beautiful. Well anyway last time I went I looked as usual and saw something very interesting. A huge chunk of burl as large as a basketball. I knew I just had to have with permission of course. Be a good day 2 all

JimGo

Originally posted by TheHoneymooners
<br />oooooooooooooooo an electric chain saw??? And I think Mike told me those didn't exist!!!!! AND with rechargable batteries????? Oh boy. May I ask how much that thing cost??? I keep telling Mike I'd stop off on the side of the road ALL the time, if I had something like that! He just laughed and said there wasnt enough extension cords around for the places I go to LOLOL

Connie,
I don't know, to tell the truth, but it came from Home Depot or Lowes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom