Does anyone else get this feeling?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

Greetings
I started working on my bash project in about November. It starts with a thought about how can I do something that haven't done before. I decided to try a piston syringe filler. Several IAP members have shown nice pens in the past so I thought I'd give it a try.

I start by thinking about the design spending time on how the parts are designed and assembled. Then I sketch the design. When I am satisfied I move to CAD, design, layout, redesign, dimensioning. Now it's time to buy parts and make chips, (YAY) turn, cut, thread, prototype build, redesign, cut, turn, thread then finally succeed in getting a design right. Finally, it's time to use a real blank, something I would like use. Turn, cut, thread, sand, polish ... then this feeling hits me. I am going to be finished with the pen in about two operations, final assembly and final polish. Instead of feeling excited or relieved I feel let down like it's anti-climatic to finish.

This happens on every pen whether it's a kit or kitless.

Thanks for "listening".

Attachments

• FP16-2.jpg
    FP16-2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 202
  • P1251608.jpg
    P1251608.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 173
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Well for me any project I do when I get done I look at it and if I likle it I am happy that I can move onto something new. Have so many ideas and projects I would like to do before I leave the planet and hope I can get a few done. Your pen came out real well.

magpens

Mike,

Very nice work on your winning pen .... Congratulations to the Nth degree !!!!

Yes, I know the feeling ... sort of ... but I don't go through all the design and prototyping detail that you mention.

I usually ... kinda ... you know ... just wing it !!

Of course, I don't usually try to do anything too complex but my designs do require a fair degree of accuracy.

There is often a let-down feeling after completion ... like ... "all those hours for this ??"

Especially when it is the IAP Bash and I don't win anything !!!!! . :rolleyes::redface:

Anyway, Congratulations to you again !!! ... I really like your pen and I knew it would be a winner when I saw the pic ... and it was the very first submission also, I believe (or assume ?).

BTW, regarding my non-winning 2019 kitless entry ... I intend to make a full posting in a day or two .. Can't seem to get it to post at the moment. . If you are interested, you can probably still view ... Entry Four. . I did not intend to have an entry this year, but about a week after this contest began, a couple of ideas were nagging at me and this is what evolved. . So the process was quite different from the process that you say you went through.

Last edited:

bsshog40

Being new to turning, and just learning the basics of making a pen, I admire your ability to design and create such a pen. I don't see myself getting into the realm of designing pens of that caliber. I just enjoy a few cuts here and there and spinning wood on a lathe. Lol Congrats on some wonderful work!

MRDucks2

I think the design aspect to the point of knowing it is working as planned is what motivates you the most, not the actual finished product.

For me, it is learning a new or different process or method. Once I have figured out how to do something I may be motivated about learning how to do it differently, easier or better, but not by doing it more or perfectly. It's not the end product that motivates me, it's the next thing to learn.

Some on IAP are motivated by perfection of the end product. They seek to do what they know until it is flawless.

Some are motivated by selling, some by teaching, others by the fellowship.

There is nothing wrong with any of us and as long as we can accept that not everyone is motivated by the same things we are, all is good. Ultimately, together, as a collective, our combined motivations and pursuits create a body of knowledge and experience that each of us can feed on and grow from.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

I agree with Mike. ...

We are individuals. .

Each of us is making a different contribution . ...

But ultimately to the same building.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Awesome pen Mike! Congrats.

I relate to elements both you, Magpens and MRDucks2 expressed.

For me (a humble segmenter), the design directs my interest. I rarely sell a pen, I only occasionally sell a blank, I typically gift away whatever I make; so no financial interest is paramount.

If I can take a rough concept, incorporate it into a possible pen blank, successfully make and turn the blank, produce a usable pen... Mission Accomplished (for me). The final pen is usually sent to a pen case and looked at occasionally.

For me the "process" was more important than the "product." As with learning tasks, it is a "process, not an event." I love designing and assembling and turning. After that is done, I'm happy and ready for the next iteration of the design.

I understand your "letdown" when you are almost done. But I differ in that I am already working on the next design; maybe a short attention-span. This is why my weakest aspect of penturning has been finishes - I truly am poor frequently with my finish, and need to improve this element. Typically, I just don't care of how the pen is finished after I get a successful design. This is not good I will admit, buy hey, as I said I don't sell pens. After I tweak the design to be acceptable, I'm happy... I have lots of nice pens, so on to the next.

For anyone needing to be mindful for sales or exceptional gifts - these attributes are not what I would recommend. But I do relate to what you said you feel at the end of the process.

Oh, it really is an awesome pen - Well done! :):):)

BSea

I do enjoy the ride much more than arriving at the destination. I've done a handful of kitless pens. The best ones I've done have been in trades, or done for someone special. Rarely do I repeat the same pen again, or done a special pen for myself. I have done prototypes a couple of times, but Like Mike, I normally just wing it.

For me, the problem is starting something I know is going to take some time. Because I hate to start something wondering if I can actually be happy with the results. But once I get into it, then I get into my zone, and actually have fun. I guess that's the reason I like trades so much. Once I agree to a trade, I can't put it off . . . . . . . . . . at least for very long.

I also agree with Mike who said it much better than I could.
There is nothing wrong with any of us and as long as we can accept that not everyone is motivated by the same things we are, all is good. Ultimately, together, as a collective, our combined motivations and pursuits create a body of knowledge and experience that each of us can feed on and grow from.

And to the Op. Great pen! :good:

Last edited:

larryc

So true

The life of a pen turner…
Phase 1- "Honey – if I buy this lathe, I can make pens and other cool stuff. I already have a drill so I won't need to buy anything else"

Phase 2- "Oh yes dear- those boxes are for me- it turns out I needed to order a mandrel and a set of bushings before I can make a pen."

Phase 3- "Look baby! I made a pen. It was so fun turning on the lathe. It was like therapy for me. But it could be a lot better. I need some better sandpaper and some lathe tools. Then I can really make a good pen"

Phase 4- "Yes dear, those boxes are for me- I found a different website to order stuff from. And I got some other pen kits that I think you will like."

Phase 5- "I can't do that pen kit – it turns out there are different sets of bushings. And I need to get some better drill bits. And I want to try some other kinds of wood. But then I'll be all set. I'm getting good at these. I bet I could even sell some."

Phase 6- "Wow- check out this pen! I'm really impressed. It looks really good. But I was looking at youtube and it turns out I can make it look even better with some superglue. I'm just going to place a quick order."

Phase 7- "Yes- I know I ordered more than just superglue- I needed some more pen kits so I can make enough to sell."

Phase 8- "Kids!! Bring me the nail polish remover. I superglued my hand to the workbench"

Phase 9- "Honey- I want to take a little side trip over to this store called WoodCraft- its out of the way, but I just need 2 more pen kits. Then I'll take you out to a nice dinner."

Phase 10- "Wow- that's a cool store- that took longer than I thought… and… uh… how about we just eat those leftovers?"
Phase 11- "Babe- check this out- there is a Facebook page just for Pen Turning! Wow- Look how beautiful these pens are"

Phase 12- "Wow- people make all these awesome blanks- I ordered a few from people on this facebook group."

Phase 13- "Hi Honey- I'll be home in an hour- did the mail come yet? I'm expecting some packages….. yes, I know. But I need to make a pen for Dave, and he wanted some specific colors that I didn't have."

Phase 14- "I sold 3 pens this week. I made $90! … yes, I know I spent $60 at 2 different stores this week and another $100 at a website on pen kits. But people are asking for me to make them pens! I think I might open an etsy store."

Phase 15- "Really? It's midnight already?? Sorry dear- I'll be done in 10 minutes."

Phase 16- "I'm sorry dear, it was a $15 stabilized pinecone blank and it shattered on me……. … … yes…. $15 for one blank… .I thought I told you? … yes dear, I'll apologize to your mother for my language."

Phase 17- "No- I'm sure not all these boxes are for me. I only ordered a couple things. Oh wow! Those got here fast. Oh yes. And those are the new kits and bushings. Yes. I do need 3 different kinds of superglue. Check out these blanks! don't they look sweet? I saw them on that facebook group I told you about. "

Phase 18- "You don't need to get me anything for Christmas. I ordered a new drill and I bought some stuff to start making my own blanks so I can save money. That charge- yes, that was me- that's a new website I found…. Ok… you don't have to get me anything for my birthday either."

Phase 19- "No, I'm not giving you another pen for your birthday. I want to take you out to eat at your favorite place…. No I didn't pick that place because it's close to woodcraft. "

Phase 20- "Ooooo- check out this laser engraver! I could make some really cool pens with that… babe? Dear?? You there hon??

it's not an exact science, but I'm guessing most in this group have been thru at least a few of these.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Greetings. I started working on my bash project in about November. It starts with a thought about how can I do something that haven't done before. I decided to try a piston syringe filler. Several IAP members have shown nice pens in the past so I thought I'd give it a try.
I start by thinking about the design spending time on how the parts are designed and assembled. Then I sketch the design. When I am satisfied I move to CAD, design, layout, redesign, dimensioning. Now it's time to buy parts and make chips, (YAY) turn, cut, thread, prototype build, redesign, cut, turn, thread then finally succeed in getting a design right. Finally, it's time to use a real blank, something I would like use. Turn, cut, thread, sand, polish ... then this feeling hits me. I am going to be finished with the pen in about two operations, final assembly and final polish. Instead of feeling excited or relieved I feel let down like it's anti-climatic to finish.
This happens on every pen whether it's a kit or kitless.

Thanks for "listening".

Another aspect to this is - it is part of a personality thing. Some people are "anticipationists", that is they anticipate the end results all the way through, and only the exceptional satisfies. I hate finishing in flat work. Spend a week making something, it looks great but the presentation is the finish. I can apply a finish in a few hours and it looks so so, OR I can spend as much time on the finishing process as the making process, and the finish showcases the work. But I hate finishing.

The end results (to me) is when I skip the detailed finishing - is a big let down. (I am not saying this about "finish" for pen making but rather the situation around being disappointed after it is over.)

In the past, I tended to "anticipate" too much and was disappointed. Then I learned to enjoy the journey itself. Too much anticipation is like trying to get 10 more yards out of a long drive and you end up with less than a normal drive.

IF you are expecting a finished pen with bling or pop or a candidate for best of the best, Some people have that ability. I don't. But I do HIT one once in a while. When I have a new idea and try it, I have no idea, even when assembling what the finished product will look like. I have a vivid imagination and often the outcome does not meet up with that imagination. Then there is the time it exceeds it. Man, that is exciting!

A well done, superb finish makes mediocre pens look great. Well done superb finishes make great pens look even better. BUT, the whole thing depends upon learning to enjoy the journey as much as the finished product.

BTW, you did excellent in your planning and working your plan. The outcome looks great to me and to others.

Last edited:

Penultimate

Thank you all for the kind comments. I appreciate it coming from all you talented pen makers. I'm not much of a social media guy but this has to be the best site on the internet everyone is so encouraging.

Chuck: Thanks for the compliment.
JT: Thanks for the compliment, good luck on your list of projects.
Mal: Thanks for the compliment and yes I was the first submission. I started making the pen in December and finished about a week before the contest started. It takes me a long time to finish a pen. I figure my next one will be ready about the Summer Extravaganza.
Mike: You are right learning new things motivates me. Well said.
Mal: Yep, we all contribute a little and everyone grows.
Mark: Thanks for the compliment. I don't like finishing either, and the journey is the best part. When I was learning CAD a long time ago, my teacher said dimensioning should take as long a designing and he was right.
Bob: Thanks for the compliment. Yes, Mike said it best.
Larry: I can't show this to my wife, she will see where this obsession is going.
Hank: I also expected too much and was often disappointed with the outcome of a project. I have mellowed thanks to having a kid and enjoy the journey. It is more satisfying.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom