Do you think it is the CA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

I had this Idea of casting a clear watch parts pen In Alumilite, So I spent a bunch of time finding the parts and clear tubes and making the blanks. then I cast them and turned it. The cap was clear when I took it in the house (where it sat over night at 72 degrees) this morning it was opaque, the body part was left in the shop (37 degrees) and remained clear. The only difference was the body was built first so the CA had about an extra 1 1/2 hours to dry. As soon as I finished gluing the Cap part, I put Them in a PVC mold and cast them at the same time with the same pour as one blank. I noticed that the CA can be seen when looking through the Alumilite. I have read where CA continues to give off gasses for a while but this is the first time I have had an issue like this. Any insight on this issue would be appreciated. :confused:
attachment.php

Attachments

• CA time 003.jpg
    CA time 003.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 484
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muggsy1776

CA can give off fumes for a week or more. I had a pen where the top didn't fit real tight so I placed a small drop of CA on the parts. I set the cap out by itself for a day or two then screwed it on the pen. I opened it a few days later and the tip of the pen was white. I was able to wipe it off, then put the cap back on. The following week I opened it and found it had turned white for a second time. The white was clearly from the CA. After a week I no longer had the problem. If I have to glue parts anymore I will use epoxy- lesson learned.

My guess is that is what happened to your pen. I would suggest next time leave the parts out for at least a week and try it again and see if it happens.

Mark

I'd have to agree with your assumption that the CA is the culprit. However, not being a casting guru, that is just my opinion.

PAPenman

I believe moisture is the culprit here. Just breathing on wet CA can make it dry cloudy. May have been caused by a humidity change between shop and home...

ldb2000

I believe moisture is the culprit here. Just breathing on wet CA can make it dry cloudy. May have been caused by a humidity change between shop and home...

It doesn't look like it was the CA that went cloudy but the Alumilite . I've never had a problem with Alumilite going cloudy from CA . I have seen it go cloudy like that on very humid days , that's one of the reasons I very seldom use it . It might also have something to do with the age of the Alumilite , it does some wierd stuff as it ages . Call them and ask , they are very helpful people there or PM Curtis , he has writen the book on that stuff , they call him for advice .

Last edited:

Padre

I find this tremendously interesting because I have also had a problem with Alumilite and CA. And just like in your case, it was after turning.

I started casting in Alumilite a year ago. When I cast some rattleskin blanks, they also turned cloudy after turning. I used a medium CA to glue the skins to the tubes. I then poured 4 more blanks and the results were the same.

So maybe alumilite and CA in certain instances just don't get along. Or maybe the heat in turning somehow triggers a reaction between CA and Alumilite. This would be a good problem to send to Alumilite Corporation, maybe they've had similar complaints.

Yet, I have also had that cloudy problem with Alumilite and moisture.

PAPenman

It doesn't look like it was the CA that went cloudy but the Alumilite . I've never had a problem with Alumilite going cloudy from CA . I have seen it go cloudy like that on very humid days ,
The OP says:
cast them at the same time with the same pour as one blank.

Only the part he brought in the house went cloudy.
IDK for sure, just my uneducated guess.

Padre

Is it my imagination or is the body part also showing cloudiness down towards the end of the blank? As you look at the picture, the right end of the blank.

Top Bottom