DIY texturising tool?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

First, you could try a sewing tracing wheel and see what you get. The density of the wood and lathe speed will make a difference in the outcome.
Good luck!

mecompco

I've been toying with the idea of adding texture to a pen. As a pipe smoker (and with the intentions of someday pipe maker), "texturizing" is called "rustification". There is also "blasting", which is done with a sand blaster (using various media) to create a texture. To create texture by hand, custom pipe makers use a variety of home-made tools. From a bunch of brads stuck into a handle to a sharpened screwdriver. Burrs in a Dremel, as above, can also be used (though things happen really fast with a Dremel!) Basically anything that will upset the wood in a random pattern can be used.

farmer

Texture

Hi,

I'd like to add some texture detail to a pen and also to some other wood turnings, but I can't afford the Robert sorby tool.

Any ideas how I could do this?

Thanks.

Turn your lathe on slow and do a cork screw down the side of the pen with a skew One pass like a set of threads .
If you are using Micro mesh then this will most likely force you into using polishing creams ..

Top Bottom