Display case

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

scturner

Hey everyone,

I'm looking around for a display case to put my pens in at a gift shop. The lady finally opened up her shop and wants my peppermills and pens to display but she can't find it localy. Have any of you fellas used or found display cases online in about this size... 36"W x 12D x 15- 20" Tall w/class fronts and sides? Trophy cases seem too small but larger cases online seem out of sight on prices $300- $500 range. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You might want to check in a used buisness listing under fixtures.
Display cases are expensive as you have found.
Have you considered building one?
When you see what goes into one after materials you'll understand why they are not cheap.
Ed might be able to put you onto something.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
David,

My experience with the display industry is, as you say, PRICEY! We all know how to work with wood, and add a little acrylic and you are home free.

Build a normal wood base and a frame of a box (think floating panel cabinetry). Instead of putting in wood panels, insert acrylic front and both sides. Make the back two pieces and make it into slide-by doors. SIMPLE really. You can use 3/16" acrylic and it will look like glass, but you don't have to worry about some kid getting cut on it. (If you use glass, DON'T use simple 1/8", it will break too easily-tempered and laminated are both expensive-the only downside of acrylic is scratching and that should not happen with a display that is placed on a cabinet top.)

Because the doors are toward the checkout, this will also control theft.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask. Acrylic can be had at Home Depot, in their window section-not the cheapest, but convenient. Cut with normal saws, the more teeth the better the cut.

scturner

Thanks everyone for the input and ideas! I mentioned to the lady the other day that I could probably make something that would get the job done but she kinda shyed away from that, not sure why but it's her money so I'll just let it sit with her to find what she likes.

ED, if she dosen't find something that suits her I'll mention again to her about making a case. Thanks for giving those good directions on making one. I'm ok at making round stuff (with the lathe) but not to well set up for putting together a case. I wish I had a table saw and router table, I could get pretty serious with it then! Anyway, I'll keep looking locally too in the classifieds.

dancrafted, Those cases might be more what shes looking for and way less expensive than others I've seen. I'll send her the link so she can take a look. Thanks for the link.

Ed, BTW, I have never used acylic/plexiglass before on anything, is that stuff expensive? The lady that has the store had a case made with real glass in it $900.00, and the glass man said acylic cost more than real glass does to use.. Whoa!. I'll check into prices on acylic later maybe at Home Depot or Lowes.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by scturner
<br />

Ed, BTW, I have never used acylic/plexiglass before on anything, is that stuff expensive? The lady that has the store had a case made with real glass in it $900.00, and the glass man said acylic cost more than real glass does to use.. Whoa!. I'll check into prices on acylic later maybe at Home Depot or Lowes.

If it was expensive, I would find a different solution-I'm from Wisconsin, we're spelled C_H_E_A_P!! The GLASS man wants to use GLASS. We do stained glass, I have MANY sources for cheap glass, I use acrylic-that's a hint.

Actually, the acrylic you would need (about 18 sq. ft) should cost about $60. at Home Depot. Once you use the stuff, if you decide you like it a lot, buy in 4x8 sheets, under $100 ea when you buy several at acrylic distributors (comes with free information if you use the right guys).

No table saw IS a BIG disadvantage, however. Could still be done, but not easily. Stay on IAP and find a local friend or Woodcraft store with rental program.

David - try "industrial plastic" supply places. They are a LOT cheaper than big box stores. They will quite often cut a sheet to size at a reasonable cost or free if they're not busy and you don't want too many cuts. With a carbide blade it cuts like butter. Like Ed said - the glass guy wants you to use glass. Acrylic is cheaper, doesn't shatter and it's more secure. I think the only advantage to glass is it doesn't scratch but like Ed said, if it's on the counter you don't have to worry about scratches anyway.
P.S. - I don't sell it or own stock in any plastics company[:D]

scturner

Both really good suggestions. Acylic does sound cheap enough. Much more reasonable than glass. Haven't heard back yet from the shop lady but will now be able to give her a better idea of cost for a case. Ed, you know come to think of it I have gotten fairly tight with the guys at the local Woodcraft store since they've come to town. Maybe they'd let me use their TS for a few minutes.

Geo, just so happens there is a big industrial plastics place near me. I've bought delrin rod and acylic rod from them in the past but didn't occure to me about acylic sheet. They probably have tons of the stuff!

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom